Apollo for Reddit
iOS Universal News
"Simply remarkable, […] you’re nuts if you don’t try Apollo." - John Gruber, Daring Fireball
"The best Reddit app for iOS" - The Sweet Setup
"Apollo is the best Reddit client I have ever used. Period." - iMore
"Apollo makes the wild world of Reddit more accessible than ever before, and it may just be the best designed social feed app I've ever used." - MacStories
"Apollo is the only Reddit app you need." - TechCrunch
"Beautiful, modern, and fast." - MacRumors
Apollo is a beautiful Reddit app built for fast navigation with an incredibly powerful set of features. Thanks to features like the Jump Bar, fully customizable gestures, and a super-charged Media Viewer, browsing Reddit has never been this amazing.
It's created specifically with iOS design guidelines in mind, so it fits right at home on your device, and with input from thousands of Redditors helping sculpt and perfect it over several years before launching:
- Jump Bar, for super-fast hopping between subreddits
- Super-charged Media Viewer for an amazing experience viewing images, GIFs, videos, albums , and more from a variety of sources.
- Tabbed interface for easy navigating
- Incredibly powerful Markdown composer for writing comments and posts
- Full inline Imgur uploading, both images and albums
- Large or compact posts depending on your preference
- Dark mode (can be automatic)
- Fully customizable gestures
- Safari View Controller for browsing articles and links
- Inline previews of media in comments
- 3D Touch support
- Beautifully organized Inbox
- Filtering and blocking
- Face ID / Touch ID / Passcode lock
- Moderator features
- Tons of settings to tweak
- GIF scrubbing to go backward and forward in time
- Multiple accounts
- Powerful search
- Full Markdown rendering
- Unobtrusive Volume Indicator
As well as much, much more and it's constantly evolving. If you have anything you'd specifically like to see, come to the ApolloApp subreddit and we'd love to hear it!
Apollo is an unofficial app, and side effects may include an incredible browsing experience.
1.8.4 builds on 1.8 with a bunch of improvements and fixes based on awesome feedback from the community! I really appreciate all the terrific support the last update received, as well as a bunch of terrific feedback that’s serving to make the update even better (as well as squash some bugs!) Read on!
- Fixed "save image" disappearing
- For video playback, controls automatically fade out now
- “Remember” setting for video audio, where it remembers if you unmuted the video until you either re-mute it or leave the app (or you can set to always unmute, or never unmute)
- On iPad you can go to the Jump Bar with the command-L keyboard shortcut’
- Can now use headphones control to pause video
- Apollo now is more intelligent with autoplaying GIFs/videos and only starts them playing them once a majority is on-screen
- Fixed crash that could occur with live videos
- Fixed bug where some GIFs wouldn’t play
- Fixed bug that could cause app to slow down after watching a bunch of videos
- If user has thumbnails disabled in their Reddit prefs, Apollo will offer to enable them since it’s normally done accidentally
- Marking posts read is now harder to do accidentally
- Fixed bug where you could upvote and downvote at the same time (sidevote?)
- Fixed bug around tapping awards after collapsing comment
- Fixed bug with play arrow overlapping video for some GIFs
- Fixed bug with mouse scroll-wheel support on iPad
- Fixed bug where some weird GIFs would open in Safari instead of in the app
- Support for new Reddit/subreddit posting requirements for certain communities
- With large posts mode, the voting arrows have larger tap targets
- When sharing with “Share Includes Post Title” enabled, it will now put the post title properly as the subject in an email
- Subreddit icon fixes
- Creating links fix
- Audio resume bug
- Picture position on iPad
- Some weird crash fixes
As always, if you have any further suggestions I’d love to hear them! Thanks for being so awesome! And if you missed all the goodies in 1.8, here’s a quick summary of them!
# Media Viewer (Images, GIFs, Videos, etc.)
- In addition to GIFs, videos now also play inline in the feed, so you no longer have to tap into them in order to see what’s going on at a glance.
- Save/share as GIF!
- Pause GIFs!
- Sharing the video file for Reddit videos now automatically merges the video and audio stream
- Sharing’s much improved and more streamlined, so you can share content even easier.
- On iOS 13 and later you can use haptic touch to long press on an image/video/GIF to preview it quickly
# Share Comment or Post as an Image
- If you’re the type that likes to screenshot a funny comment and send to a friend, now you don’t have to mess around with screenshoting, then cropping, or piecing together multiple images, Apollo will handle it all for you!
# Portrait Lock Buddy
- Apollo now has a Smart Rotation Lock as well as a Portrait Lock Buddy! Check out Settings > General for more info.
# 5 (Five!) New App Icons to Choose From
Two new Apollo Ultra icons, as well as 3 new additions to the Community Icon Pack!
# New Reddit Awards
- Reddit recently updated the award system to evolve from just Silver, Gold, and Platinum to a variety of fun, new awards. You can view and gift them!
# Reddit Polls
- Support for the new Reddit Polls! Have fun voting in heated community discussions about the intricacies of crocheting.
# Comment Parent Previewing
- On iOS 13 and later comments now get a nice context menu when you use haptic touch on them, but beyond just having some nice options it’ll now actually show you the parent comment to the comment you selected!
# iPad Pointer Support
- iOS 13.4 added a ton of awesome functionality around iPads and mouse/trackpad cursor support. Apollo now supports this thoroughly!
# Thank You
Y’all are genuinely the best community, thank you so much for all the support and I really hope you enjoy this update!