Onion Browser is a Tor-powered web browser that lets you access the internet privately and anonymously.
Featured in: TechCrunch, Gizmodo, Boing Boing, Lifehacker, Macworld, The Guardian, ProPublica, MSNBC, and others.
• Internet access tunneled over the Tor network:
- Websites do not see your real IP address.
- Web browsing is encrypted before it leaves your device, protecting your data on insecure wireless networks.
- Can access the entire Internet from behind corporate/ISP/national internet filters and censors. (See NETWORK RESTRICTIONS below.)
- Access websites on the "dark net" of anonymous .onion web sites, only accessible through Tor.
• Defeat online tracking: change IP address and clear cookies/history/cache/HTML5 storage in one button.
• User-Agent spoofing option can make it more difficult to detect that you are using an iPhone/iPad.
• Ability to block third party cookies or all cookies.
• Ability to disable active content (scripts and multimedia connections) that can be used to identify you.
PERFORMANCE NOTE: web browsing through the anonymization network will be SIGNIFICANTLY SLOWER than through a non-tunneled browser.
VIDEO NOTE: video streaming services are not supported at this time. Normal video files are transferred of Tor due to system limitations -- viewing video files in the app may compromise privacy. Please see onionbrowser.com for more information.
NETWORK RESTRICTIONS: Onion Browser does NOT function in China, Iran, and other locations using Deep Packet Inspection (DPI) network technology to block Tor connections.
Onion Browser is open-source software and relies on other projects including The Tor Project and OpenSSL.
More security information is available at onionbrowser.com
App is now being compiled with 64-bit CPU optimization (for iPhone 5S and new iPads), which may improve performance. App continues to work on all other devices running iOS 6.0+.
A progress bar / loading bar, similar to one used in Safari, has been added to the app. Based on work by Satoshi Asano.
A copy of the help site has been embedded into the app, for offline viewing and a more prominent link has been added to the main menu.
Fix awkward navbar / address bar spacing in iOS 7.
NOTE: Because of CPU optimization compatibility, Onion Browser now requires iOS 6.0 or greater.
Share with Others
- Last changed:
- Feb 05, 2014
- Mike Tigas
- Average Rating:
- 3.50 (20)
- 7.9 MB