Consumer Reports Mobile Shopper
More than a barcode scanner! Make the best buying & shopping decisions with expert Ratings and reviews in CR Mobile Shopper. Hit “MORE” (below this section on the right) to learn more about the app and see how we clear up some misnomers. Click “MORE” now!
Got feedback (both good and bad) or questions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Now get all the information you need to know before you buy, wherever you go. Get one year’s ad-free access (NO AUTO RENEW) to expert & unbiased Consumer Reports’ Ratings, Brand Reliability, Buying Advice, videos and more on thousands of products, including:
- Home & Garden
- Babies & Kids
- Car products (does NOT include new or used car model information)
- Research, price and shop in an unbiased and ad-free environment
- Quick access to product info by browsing our Ratings, searching for an item or scanning a barcode
- See which products are Recommended and which are rated as a CR Best Buy®
- Compare Ratings of different models to see how they stack up against each other
- Read through detailed user reviews
- See which brands are most reliable
- Find the best deals online or on the shelves of nearby retail stores
- Share with friends/family via email or post to Facebook and/or Twitter
- Save products for quick and easy access whenever you need it ─ wherever you are
Addressing some of the negative comments and misnomers the app’s iTunes reviews:
•Crashes – On 12/19-20, the app was temporarily unable to connect to our database leaving users with an extremely frustrating experience – “crashing”. This has since been resolved.
•Price – While many barcode scanning apps are less expensive or free, barcode scanning is just one of many features that our app offers. Our unique value is the thousands of unbiased Ratings, brand information and buying advice from the experts at Consumer Reports. Furthermore, we are an expert, independent, nonprofit organization that accepts no outside advertising. Our income comes from sales of our publications and information products, including this app, as well as noncommercial contributions and grants. Charging for our products enables us to continue our mission: Working for a fair, just, and safe marketplace for all consumers.
•Your purchase is NOT a recurring subscription – In paying for the download, you are paying for one year’s access to the latest expert Ratings, buying advice and more. It will NOT auto-renew after one year.
•Included products – The app contains information on thousands of our most popular products. However, it doesn’t contain new or used car Ratings. Also, there are some products’ Ratings that may appear on our website, consumerreports.org, but not yet in the app because that information has not yet made it into our mobile database.
•Product Ratings – Our Ratings only apply to the products that we test – Appliances, Electronics, Home & Garden, Baby & Kids and Car-related products. Any other products that are scanned or searched for with the app will not return any Consumer Reports Ratings results. However, we’ve built the app to do its best to provide product information, local and online shopping results as well as brand reliability and performance history information in these instances.
•Android version – It’s in development. Text ANDROID to 76666 (msg/data rates may apply) if you’re interested in being notified via text when it’s ready.
Consumers Union is an expert, independent, nonprofit organization whose mission is to work for a fair, just, and safe marketplace for all consumers and to empower consumers to protect themselves. To maintain its independence and impartiality, Consumers Union accepts no outside advertising and no free samples and employs several hundred mystery shoppers and technical experts to buy and test the products it evaluates.
Bug and stability fixes.
Share with Others
- Last changed:
- May 23, 2011
- Consumer Reports
- 11.6 MB
- Current Version Average Rating:
- No data
- All Versions Average Rating:
- 2.50 (30)
- Other Apps By This Developer
• Best Drugs for Less
• Car Buying Guide by Consumer Reports
• Consumer Reports Magazine iPad Edition
• Consumerist Tipster
• Ratings by Consumer Reports
• ShopSmart Magazine