Backpacker Map Maker Lite
iOS iPad Travel
BACKPACKER Map Maker Lite is GPS mapping software for your iPad. Plan backpacking and camping trips, and other outdoor adventures on detailed, interactive topo maps and aerial photos. Get instant access to more than 68,000 topographic maps in the US and Canada.
Note: Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
THE BEST MAPS
• View seamless topo maps by MyTopo. MyTopo takes the base maps offered by the USGS and enhances them with stunning shaded relief from the most up-to-date information available for topographic mapping. Topo maps are 1:24K scale in the Lower 48 states, 1:63K in Alaska and 1:50K in Canada.
• Two maps are better than one when you use dual mode. Map Maker lets you overlay two map types on top of each other for the best trip planning experience.
• Utilize five map types: street, hybrid, terrain, topographic and aerial.
• Get the best of digital maps and old-school paper maps. Pair maps you create in Map Maker with a custom waterproof map printed by MyTopo.com.
TOP-NOTCH MAPPING TOOLS
• Mark waypoints with a simple drag-and-drop of your finger. Add and edit waypoint notes.
• Use the ruler to measure trip distances. See how far it is from the trailhead to your camp to a mountain summit and beyond.
• See how far waypoints are from your current known location.
• Press the digital compass to see a screen-sized compass overlaid onto your maps.
• Copy coordinates from your favorite websites and guidebooks then use the Smart Paste tool to automatically place the coordinates on the map.
• Customize your iPad display for right- or left-handed users.
• Switch between metric and imperial units.
• View your current compass heading and declination.
• Custom Paper Map: Order a waterproof custom printed topo map or aerial image directly through our app with just a few taps of a button. Printed and shipped by MyTopo.com within 24 hours.
SAVE TRIPS TO THE CLOUD
• Pre-plan trips and auto-sync them to the Backpacker Trip Cloud. Our free cloud services allow you to access trips from any computer or device.
• Open trips you planned in Map Maker in BACKPACKER GPS Trails, our outdoor navigation app. Learn more at backpacker.com/apps.
• Edit trips at backpacker.com, in our Map Maker iPad app or in our Backpacker GPS Trails app and see the changes the next time you connect to the network.
• Import GPS files (.gpx) into your online account and within seconds see and edit them in Map Maker Lite.
UPGRADE TO MAP MAKER PRO
Get the ultimate trip planner with our Pro app, including:
Faster Maps: Store topos on your iPad for easy access. No more waiting while they load.
No Wi-Fi Required: Save your favorite maps--and trips you've built or downloaded from the BACKPACKER archive--for view out of the network.
CUSTOM MAPS: Draw a box around trails or parks, then download centered digital maps for your trip.
Please visit backpacker.com/mapmaker for complete instructions and tutorials. We’d love to hear from you. Post your comments and suggestions at facebook.com/backpackergpstrails.
The BACKPACKER Map Maker Lite app is part of the Trimble Outdoors Network. trimbleoutdoors.com
NOTES: BACKPACKER Map Maker Lite is designed and optimized for the iPad and iPad 2. It works on both the Wifi and 3G models but the Wifi models lack a GPS chip required to show your exact location. Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
LOGINS: Some older backpacker.com accounts are not compliant with this iPad app. Please shoot us an email at email@example.com and we’ll fix your login problems .
• Adds automatic map pack metadata synchronization between devices when you are logged in.
• Multiple bug fixes and improvements.