This app was removed from the App Store.
The World by National Geographic
iOS iPad Reference
Concept project by National Geographic Society, released in 2011, and exclusively designed to highlight National Geographic’s tradition of high-quality cartography.
The World by National Geographic provides one-touch access to hundreds of maps, flags, and photos worldwide. The amazing thing about this product is that it present two dimensional PRINT CARTOGRAPHY in three dimensional space.
"My favorite new reference app is the World. ... For the money, the World offers huge value, and the experience is miles apart from what you would find on the Web." – Bob Tedeschi, New York Times
“I’ve always wanted a spinning globe.” – Gizmodo App of the Day
"I've always been someone who has been fascinated with maps and atlases, so I found myself thoroughly enjoying The World. …" – Gadling
Take the world for a spin! The World by National Geographic offers classic map content in a contemporary virtual globe. This multi-dimensional app takes National Geographic’s award-winning cartography to a new level! Grab hold of the interactive globe and spin, rotate, zoom, and select to begin your exploration, then tell friends about your favorite world views through the app’s share features. Navigate entire atlases, hundreds of National Geographic photographs, and archives of country-based data anywhere, anytime with the touch of a finger.
**Note: Version 1.2 addresses an issue with iPad 1 devices running iOS 5. If you still experience issues, please know that we are continually working to improve stability and performance throughout.
**Note: Access to all features and functionality requires a network connection
Key features and Functionality:
- 3-D spinning globe that allows for multi-touch and multi-directional manipulation of worldwide and regional views
- Hundreds of photographs in featured galleries from National Geographic and My Shot Community photographers
- High-resolution map layers that allow for detailed zooming, based on National Geographic atlases and maps
- Accurate and interactive views of the polar regions (a first for a globe of this kind)
- Gallery views of flags, photos, atlas maps, and more
- Sharing of your favorite map views via email, Facebook, Twitter
★ Fixed crashes affecting iPad 1 users
★ Improved overall stability, speed and performance
★ Updated Facebook and Twitter sharing features
★ Updated flags for Libya and Malawi
★ Updated facts and descriptions throughout
★ Redesigned Sharing button and globe background
★ Many styling tweaks and minor bug fixes