A Dictionary of Japanese Idioms for iOS
Speak like a native with A Dictionary of Japanese Idioms. Find the best expression for every situation!
What student of Japanese has not grappled with the amazing diversity and tantalizingly elusive nuances of its idioms? One certainly would not want to confuse, for example, ki ga mawaru (to be considerate) with ki o mawasu (to be suspicious). And it would be useful to know whether your boss is hara ga tatsu (angry) or merely ki ga tatsu (upset). Indeed, even a single idiom can have a bewildering number of meanings depending on context: te o ireru, for instance, can mean tidying up (e.g. a room), sounding out someone, or staging a raid.
This dictionary offers the most comprehensive compilation and English translation of those idiomatic expressions that so enrich the Japanese language but fail to find their way into conventional dictionaries. It presents 10,000 idiomatic phrases under some 2,200 main entries, including several thousands of idioms never presented and explained in English before. Multiple sample phrases are given for each entry, and furigana (as well as Internet audio) allows even beginning students to correctly pronounce and use the expressions immediately.
App features include:
- Search-as-you-type in English and Japanese
- Spell-checking in English and romaji
- Bookmark, annotate and share entries
- Jump to other apps and web dictionaries
- Portrait & Landscape modes
Based on “A Dictionary of Japanese Idioms” by William de Lange, Floating World Editions.
- Updated for iOS 7/8.
In addition to a modern new look, enhancements include:
- Ability to search for Japanese words across word boundaries (e.g. をもつ)
- Ability to jump to other apps and web dictionaries by tap-holding words and kanji in the entries, or from the search bar ("bent arrow" icon)
- Option to highlight search terms
- Option for dark mode (“night mode”)
The update also contains bug fixes, data corrections and the latest version of iSpeech®. Note that the Rotation Lock setting has been removed since there is now a switch for that in Control Center.
If you have any problems with the app please write to us at email@example.com. And if you like the app, we'd appreciate if you would leave a rating or review. Thanks.
Share with Others
- Last changed:
- 2 days ago
- sazanami software
- 25.8 MB
- Current Version Average Rating:
- No data
- All Versions Average Rating:
- No data