100 Words Almost Everyone Mispronounces
New to the best-selling 100 Words series: 100 pronunciation pitfalls and how to talk right through them.
♪ Hear the correct pronunciation, too! No Internet connection needed.
Have you ever been told that a certain word you have been using is correctly pronounced in a different way? And what about those words with more than one pronunciation -- does it matter which one you use? Will your pronunciation sound silly?
*** Bonus Audio Podcast ***
This iPhone/iPod touch version has a full range of features:
* entire text of this best selling book
* pre-recorded sound files
* real-time progressive search
* wildcard searches for unknown spellings
* bookmarks with notations
* automatic history
* complete offline use - no internet connect is required
* Hyperlinks on every word out to UniDict powered dictionaries such as American Heritage Dictionaries
*** Bonus Audio Podcast ***
This latest installment in the best-selling 100 Words series, 100 Words Almost Everyone Mispronounces, settles the score on 100 controversies and misconceptions about words with difficult or slippery pronunciations.
Selected by the editors of the American Heritage Dictionaries, these words are tongue twisters of a different kind. Each word is presented in dictionary format, with a note explaining the pronunciation problem, how it arose, and why it is controversial.
Here are but a few of the questions this book answers: Does the word dour rhyme with sour or tour? Which syllable is properly stressed in harass and desultory? Is there a final ay sound in cadre, forte, and lingerie? Why do people put an extra syllable in words like mischiev(i)ous and triath(a)lon? Should it bother us when presidents and generals say nucular?
Fun to read and informative as well, 100 Words Almost Everyone Mispronounces is bound to appeal to anyone who doesn't want to be the center of attention for the wrong reason.
100 Words Almost Everyone Mispronounces by the Editors of the American Heritage® Dictionaries. Copyright © 2008 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
* Added fast app-switching and "Retina Display" support
-tapping to lookup words in any UniDict® dictionary much faster
❀ Don't forget to check out the rest of the "100 Words" series.
❀ If you don't have a UniDict-powered dictionary yet, we recommend you chose American Heritage 4th edition. This is just the all-round best quality dictionary on the AppStore.
Definitely worth the money.
Don't waste your time or money on anything less.
new in 3.2.2:
Bookmark and History problem fixed
Share with Others
- Last changed:
- Jun 16, 2012
- Enfour, Inc.
- 17.7 MB
- Current Version Average Rating:
- 3.50 (2)
- All Versions Average Rating:
- 4.00 (10)
- Other Apps By This Developer
• 19 ways of Giant Killing
• Akira Masuda
• Collins Gem Chinese <-> English Dictionary (UniDict®) - travel Mandarin Chinese dictionary including phrasebook.
• Collins Gem English Dictionary & Thesaurus (UniDict®)
• Collins Gem French <-> English Dictionary (UniDict®) - Travel Dictionary with Phrasebook
• Collins Gem German <-> English Dictionary (UniDict®) - travel dictionary with phrasebook
• Collins Gem Italian <-> English Dictionary (UniDict®) - travel dictionary with phrasebook
• Collins Gem Malay <-> English Dictionary (UniDict®) - dictionary with phrasebook
• Collins Gem Portuguese <-> English Dictionary (UniDict®) - travel dictionary with phrasebook
• Collins Gem Spanish <-> English Dictionary (UniDict®) - travel dictionary with phrasebook
• Collins Polish <-> English Dictionary (UniDict®) - travel dictionary with phrasebook
• Collins Russian <-> English Dictionary (UniDict®) - travel dictionary with phrasebook.
• InfoSYS Handbook
• Logical Conclusion
• Longman English-Japanese Dictionary
• Send It Later (time-shift your email & SMS)
• Soccer Kenbunroku
• TangoTown- JLPT 1級 Quiz
• TangoTown- JLPT 2級 Quiz
• TangoTown- JLPT 3級 Quiz
• TangoTown- JLPT 4級 Quiz
• The Sailor-Fuku -Japanese High School Uniforms
• THE YAKUZA
• Wall Street Words
• はじめて受ける新TOEICテスト 英単語・熟語
• アインシュタイン式 論理脳ドリル 旅行編
• アインシュタイン式論理脳ドリル FREE
• フラワー 〜花開く愛のために〜
• 信用取引（投資に役立つ小冊子シリーズ Vol.1）
• 日経PCビギナーズ パソコン＆ネットらくらく用語事典
• 日経ビジネス 経済・経営用語辞典