Chapters - Notebooks for Writing
iOS Universal Productivity
Chapters lets you create and manage multiple notebooks, each fully searchable and with its own settings.
Keep a travel journal, a photo log, a notebook about ongoing work projects, and your own personal diary in one app.
Manage writing projects. Create as many notebooks as you want and fill each with as much as you need to write. Choose a color theme, font, text color, and page color for each notebook.
Focused writing. Multiple photos per entry that you can move, resize, rotate - your words flow around them. Reliable storage, autosave, and passcode lock protect your words; share or read them on your computer with PDF, text, and email export. You can also create backups and save them to other apps such as Dropbox, Drive, and Evernote.
Add a passcode to lock the app and keep your writing private.
Enable word count to see how much you've written. You can also enable the extra keyboard buttons to jump forward and backward by word or character with a single tap, saving you time so you can focus on writing.
Work while using other apps with support for Slide Over and Split View multitasking on iPad.
Not interested in managing multiple notebooks? Have a look at Chronicle, an app that focuses on keeping a single personal journal. Chapters can import .backup files from Chronicle (as well as the .cbackup files from the older Chronicle2 app)
* Create as many notebooks as you need to group related writing
* Notebook themes (Classic color and 7 new colors)
* Put photos where you want. The text wraps around them.
* No limit to the number of photos you can put on the page
* Pick a font and font size just like you do in iBooks
* Customize the text color of your journal
* Easy back-dating; tap to adjust the entry date as needed
* Resize and rotate photos. Tap for a fullscreen, zoomable version.
* Customize your journal's page color
* Crisp PDF export preserves layout and photo placement
* Export your entire journal as a plain text file
* Fast search that provides context around keywords
* Distraction free writing in portrait or landscape mode
* Support for Dynamic Type means text is never too small to read
* Extended keyboard makes it easy to insert timestamps into your writing
* Turn word count on to see a total as you type
* Optimized scrolling; scroll back a whole year in a few seconds
* Set a password to protect your journal entries
* Export single entries via email, with photos embedded
* Chapters remembers where you were in each notebook
* Arrange your photos by dragging them; rotate with two fingers
* Autosave and undo while you're writing
Please note that drawing/handwriting aren't supported.
Stop squinting. In addition to being able to adjust the journal's font size, you can change the system's Text Size from the Settings app to make the UI text in Chapters easy to read. I've also added accessibility and VoiceOver improvements.
Contact me at slidetorock.com with questions / suggestions.
More than 6 YEARS on the App Store! Big changes to support more devices, multitasking, and iOS improvements.
App updates clear the previous reviews. Thanks for taking the time to update your review/rating for new releases!
- New setting to show entry and photo storage; you can force deletion of temporary files to save space
- Support for Slide Over and Split View multitasking on iPad
- Improved handling of iOS Text Size settings adjustments
- Improved PDF rendering / printing
- Better, sharper photo thumbnails
- Extended keyboard layout adjustments
- Notebook covers are more adaptive and look better on all devices
- Improved code to handle deleting temporary exported/shared files to cut down on storage
- Updated search library to improve journal indexing
- Fix for jumpy behavior when rotating device while viewing a journal entry
- Fixed bug that caused words to underlap keyboard while typing
- Better support for input assistant buttons on iPad keyboard (undo, copy, paste)
- Fixed bug in app's settings that occurred when scrolling up and down rapidly
- Updated share/export dialogs (removed previous workaround for iOS 8 issue)
- Search results reload to reflect any changes in system text size
- Updated layout to work better no matter what screen size you have
- Faster launch and improved launch screen for all devices
- Fixed a crash that could occur when editing date of old entry
- Improved support for iOS 9 and 10 (maintains iOS 8 compatibility)
- Updated alert views, action sheets, and popovers
- Privacy lock enhancements, especially for older devices
- Ability to export all entries as a text file
- Faster backup and export creation
- Ability to Mail your backups or you can 'Open In...' to save them elsewhere
- App keeps recent backups, cleans up older ones to save storage
- Fix for database concurrency issues that could lead to rare crash
If you've been using the previous version, this update will migrate your data when you launch the app. If you have years entries and photos, the migration could take a couple minutes. Please leave the app open and running until it completes.