lire (Full-text RSS)
iOS Universal News
Love RSS feeds? So do we!!
RSS feeds are a great way to follow updates on your favorite website. However, some sites set up their feeds to only show a portion of each entry, you know, to get you to click through to their actual website. We find that really annoying, and we're sure you do too.
Which is why, unlike other RSS feed readers, that either push you into a browser (in-app or otherwise), or depend on third party text parsing services and require you to be online to fetch the full text of one article at a time (which makes it no different from having to click/tap through to a website), in lire, you get your favorite RSS feeds as they should've been. You don't need to click through to any website (though, you do still have the option to, if you really wanted). It takes your favorite partial feeds, does it's magic, and converts them in to full feeds, so you don't have to click/tap on those annoying 'Read more' or 'Continue reading' links.
Once they're cached, you don't even need to be connected to read your full-text feeds.
Use as a standalone feed reader,
sync with any of the several services: Feedly, FeedHQ, The Old Reader, Inoreader, BazQux Reader.
WARNING: If you are currently using version 2.0 in standalone mode, please make sure that you have a backup of your feeds in an OPML file, before installing 3.0.
- This update should get rid of Feedly-Syncing Errors 429 & 520. If you're still seeing those errors, please delete & re-install the app.
- Minor bug fixes & improvements.
- Addressed some of the issues related to Syncing Error 429 & 520.
- Fixed some issues with search results never showing up for certain URLs.
- Other minor bug fixes & improvements.
- Fixed a bug that caused a crash when trying to create a new folder while using the app in Standalone mode.
- Larger font sizes now available in the main article view.
- Where possible, will move one level up automatically, after performing ‘Mark all as read’.
- Several bug fixes and improvements.
- Two new themes: ‘Irene’, and ‘Sofian’ for those who preferred the appearance of themes from lire version 2.0. (These themes look as close as possible to the old themes with the current UI)
- Several bug fixes and improvements.
Major 3.0 update..
- New sync services: FeedHQ, The Old Reader, Inoreader, BazQux Reader.
- Completely redesigned UI.
- Several new fonts.
- State Restoration (lire will now start where you left it when you were last using it).
- Standalone feed engine is completely rebuilt from the ground up.
- New background refresh/sync engine: You can now set the minimum amount of time that must elapse after a background refresh/sync before another background refresh/sync can me initiated.
- Get notifications when a successful background refresh/sync downloads new articles.
- New, and more efficient full-text fetching engine.
- New OPML import engine: Besides being able to import file via 'Open with:' from other apps, you can now import OPML files from iCloud drive, and other apps that offer file providers, from right within the OPML Import/Export screen.
- New section in Accessibility/VoiceOver Options: VoiceOver users can now change the order in which VoiceOver will speak different attributes of each article in a list of articles.
- New Fast Read Later option: This is different from 'Fast Read Later' in previous versions: Go to Settings > Article Options > Fast Read Later, and select what you want Fast Read Later to do. This actions will basically replace the second button on the bottom bar in the main article view.
- New Swipe To Left Action option in article lists: Go to Settings > Article Options > Swipe To Left Action, and select what you want Swipe To Left Action to do. Which in a list of articles swipe/slide an article to the left to perform this actions. VoiceOver users can perform this action from the rotor.
- New Swipe To Right Action option in article lists: Go to Settings > Article Options > Swipe To Right Action, and select what you want Swipe To Right Action to do. Which in a list of articles swipe/slide an article to the right to perform this actions. VoiceOver users can perform this action from the rotor.
- Easy way to report problems with specific feeds that the new standalone feed engine may have trouble with: Go to view articles of specific feeds, from the article list, open Subscription Details, and tap on 'Report a problem' button at the bottom of the Subscription Details view. (This button is only visible if you’re using the app in Standalone mode).
- Easy way to report problems with full-text extraction of specific articles: Tap 'Report a problem' link at the bottom of the full-text view if the specific article.
- Easy way to report problems with Cache: Go to Settings > Caching Options > Report a problem.
- Tons of other new features, improvements, and bug fixes..
If you enjoy using lire, please leave a review, tell a friend about it, or consider dropping a small thank you in the Tip Jar. That helps a lot!