Mac OS Weather
LuckGrib is a fully featured, easy to use, fast GRIB reader, viewer and downloader
LuckGrib comes with a 14 day free trial. If you are interested in studying weather and gaining access to detailed weather forecasts, download the app and give it a try
LuckGrib uses beautiful and fast graphics to give you insight and understanding into how the weather and ocean conditions will change through a forecast as well as showing you the details of what happens at any location
Weather forecast data, packaged as GRIB files, can be downloaded directly from the LuckGrib server cluster. Downloads from the server cluster are fast - you can easily explore the weather world wide using some of the best weather models available
All data downloads are free. You have immediate access to over 30 weather and ocean models
Weather models are available which contain surface conditions, wave and swell state, ocean currents as well as higher altitude information such as that found at the 850mb, 500mb and 250mb levels - these levels correspond to the low cloud level or jet stream, for example. Some of the models available are: GFS, GDPS, CMC, WW3, HRRR, RAP, NAM, NDFD, Icon-EU, OpenWRF, RTOFS
Check the support site for additional information regarding model availability. Short videos are also available, as are tutorials and other information
"The LuckGrib viewer is elegant, fast, and functional.... a must have app for all sailors using Macs for weather work."
—David Burch, Director of Starpath School of Navigation and author of Modern Marine Weather.
"LuckGrib…is a huge step forward in both functionality and ease of use when compared to anything else I have used."
— John Harries, Attainable Adventure Cruising.
• download your data directly from the LuckGrib server cluster
• download weather and ocean data from models created by NOAA, Environment Canada, Météo-France, Deutscher Wetterdienst (DWD) in Germany and OpenWRF
• both global and regional models are available
• high resolution GRIB models are supported and displayed on their native grid (you see the actual model data, not a processed version where there is room for error)
• smooth transitions and animation show how the weather or ocean conditions evolve through a forecast
• instantly updated graphical and textual information as you interact with the weather models
• graphs of weather values (meteograms) at a point. Meteograms are a convenient way to see trends in the weather
• support for sailors when planning a passage, during departure planning, as well as while on passage, through the points, routes and vessels features
• mark points and name them. Measure distances, simulate traveling through weather
• support for GRIB versions 1 and 2 allows you to import the widest range of information
• import GRIB files from outside sources such as PredictWind, Ocens, Saildocs and many others
• access to hundreds of GRIB parameters (wind, rain, pressure, temperature, CAPE, CIN, humidity, wave information, ocean current data, vorticity, simulated radar, and many more)
• an internet connection is not required to view downloaded files. LuckGrib acts as a fully functional viewer when away from the internet
LuckGrib has a built in GRIB file librarian, allowing you instant access to all of your GRIB files. Switching between GRIB files is very fast, allowing you to compare the results of different models or to watch how a forecast evolves over time
The main change in this release is that LuckGrib is now a free download on the App store. LuckGrib comes with a 14 day free trial
In addition to the change in the pricing model, a small number of enhancements were also made:
• provided the ability to alter the row height of a Meteogram. Look in the application preferences for this new control
• several fixes to improve the visualization of weather data at high latitudes
• fixed a problem when viewing a very wide, but not global, GRIB file
If you have any questions or suggestions please contact me. If you like the app, let others know - leave a comment, tell your friends