FitPlot layout & print of PDF and images
Mac OS Graphics & Design
FitPlot is a simple to use, yet powerful, Mac app for layout and prepress which makes easier the daily work with printers and plotters.
What FitPlot can do?
FitPlot extends the capabilities of your printer devices.
In FitPlot you can place, resize, rotate, duplicate, and much more, images and documents of all graphic types (tif, jpg, png, gif, psd, pdf, eps).
This is done quickly and accurately, right on the virtual paper on which you are going to print.
You can place images of the types listed above, also you can drop images or use the copy / paste directly into the FitPlot page (for example drag and drop from a browser or copy and paste elements from a graphic application).
Why to use FitPlot?
Because it is an application that is fast, practical and precise at the same time.
You can get immediately results achievable only with more expensive programs, and, unlike these, in a much more straight and intuitive way.
In addition FitPlot provides a set of specialized tools for every need:
• Quick and precise layout: of existing images / PDF or dragged / pasted images (from a browser or another graphic app), exact positioning, duplication, rotation, enlargements and reductions, aligning, batch operations and more…
• Packing / nesting of the images: you can fill images in the available space (in a sheet of given width and variable-length [roll] or in one or more sheets of fixed size).
• Merging of PDF elements: taking advantage of the transparency to white, characteristic of the PDF, you can merge, for example, a sheet of letterhead paper (PDF) with the raw text of a letter and export the resulting image in a new PDF to be sent for e-mail.
• Imposition: given a multipage PDF, you can arrange the pages on the canvas so that, after print, folding and trimming, you get a brochure fully paginated.
• Business Cards Imposition: you can easily impose a large number of business cards (or similar jobs) in a prepress layout, automatically composing front / back for you.
• One-click resize of images to standard sizes.
• Create posters of any size composing the pieces printed on single sheets, taking care of print margins and overlaps.
• Resizing scale drawings: you can translate a drawing scale into another easily. You can even determine the drawing scale just knowing one real dimension in the drawing.
• Last minute image retouch: raster images in a FitPlot document can be adjusted directly. You can adjust brightness, contrast, saturation, exposure, tinte and color space.
• Print log: FitPlot keeps a chronology (log) of print jobs it has performed. Each print is a (record) that keeps all is needed to quantify the job: page size, copies, date, inserted files, sheet coverage area.
• Color management: FitPlot gives you the control in the color flow chain that starts with the camera / scanner and concludes with the final print, including your display device in between.
• Lessons / examples showing the program usage are published on a dedicated YouTube channel:
• New packing / nesting option based on the floor / ceiling bin packing algorithm [inspired to the work "Algorithms for Two-Dimensional Bin Packing and Assignment Problems" by Andrea Lodi].
The floor / ceiling algorithm could be less efficient in saving space, but it has the advantage to re-arrange the objects aligned on floor / ceiling lines, suitable for image cutting.
• Interface improved:
+ Automatic guides: when this option is activated and you're moving an object around, you should see / snap temporary guides connecting the moving object to the one(s) it is approaching to, allowing an easy alignment to sides / centers points.
+ A new option allows to snap object to the border of the page and to the margin sides.
+ Guides can now snap to objects on the page, even if the objects are not selected.
+ New object display mode called shape: only the shape and the average color (with a light transparency) of an image are shown on the screen. This allows a quicker video refresh and an easier use of the new automatic guides option. There are now three display modes: low resolution, high resolution and shape only, you can toggle the three from the toolbar or via menu.
+ Optimized refresh: the program is more responsive.
• Bug fixing
+ The 6 version has required a rewrite of large parts of the code. This has caused the emerging of unwanted errors in some of the program's functions, errors which, unfortunately, passed the control before release.
With version 6.0.2 I remedied to the most serious ones.
Finally, with this version (6.1.0), I hope that there are no remaining errors.
I welcome your feedback, good or bad, as well as any suggestions you may have to improve the FitPlot experience.
* Crash with Business Cards imposition fixed
* Occasional crash with multiple selections fixed
* Minor problem discovered and fixed