Spaceflight has never been so easy! With SkySafari 3 Plus, you can follow events like eclipses and transits in Earth's sky - or from anywhere else in the galaxy!
Looking for SkySafari Pro? It's only available from Southern Stars:
It's got even more goodies than Plus! But SkySafari Plus, right here on the Mac App Store, is the next best thing.
Like our SkySafari iPhone apps, SkySafari for Mac OS X comes in three versions. This version - SkySafari Plus - is the intermediate one. It adds a hugely expanded database, wired or wireless telescope control - and the ability to fly into orbit around other Solar System objects and nearby stars - to our basic version.
SkySafari Plus shows you 2.5 million stars, and 31,000 deep sky objects - including the entire NGC/IC catalog. It shows the Solar System's major planets and moons using NASA spacecraft imagery, and includes over 4,000 asteroids, comets, and satellites with updateable orbits. It can point your GoTo or "Push-To" telescope anywhere in the sky, using your Mac's built-in WiFi, or a USB-to-serial adapter.
SkySafari Plus accurately shows you the sky from any place on Earth, at any time up to one million years in the past or future. It includes 1100 encyclopedic descriptions of the constellations, stars, and planets written by professional astronomers. And it contains over 800 images from NASA space missions, the Hubble Space Telescope, and the world's foremost astro-photographers.
SkySafari Plus has a "Night" button to preserve your dark adaptation as you're exploring the night sky. The Time Flow feature lets you animate the night sky using simple VCR controls - follow the motion of the stars and planets as SkySafari compresses days, months, and years into a few seconds.
SkySafari Plus takes advantage of Apple's latest Mac OS X features. It understands multitouch gestures on Macs with multitouch trackpads, and supports OS X 10.7 (Lion) full-screen mode. And its responsive, fluid interface borrows from the best aspects of SkySafari for iPhone. SkySafari for Mac OS X truly brings astronomy software into the 21st century. It's more than just a star chart - it's a celestial travel guide!
1) Added 3D models, descriptions, and images of Cassini and Voyager spacecraft, the International Space Station, and Hubble Space Telescope.
2) When you are orbiting an object that itself is orbiting another primary object, SkySafari updates your position so that the primary stays at the same relative position.
3) Chart center longitude/latitude now remembered correctly when app relaunches after exit.
4) Improved performance when drawing many faint solar system objects. Default solar system magnitude limit is now 20, as opposed to unlimited; settings files now restore unlimited (infinite) magnitudes correctly.
5) Now displays orbit epoch for satellites and solar system objects in Object Info. Conjunction, opposition, eclipse dates in Object Info now show the first such event taking place any time in the next 2 years, and the math runs much faster now.
6) Fixed bug where two or more automatic solar system data updates could happen simultaneously, which could result in missing objects in some categories. Discards partial solar system data updates; all files must now download successfully before SkySafari will accept the updated data.
7) Fixed small error in position computation for some geosynchronous satellites.
8) Fixed problem preventing some stars from being drawn when very far away in interstellar space.
9) Added support for telescope axis encoders on SiTech controllers in Push-To mode.
10) Implemented fix for alignment problems with encoder systems on clock-driven equatorial mounts.
12) Fixed problems drawing orbits with eccentricity very close to (but not exactly) 1, like that of comet PANSTARRS.
Share with Others
- Last changed:
- Dec 02, 2013
- Simulation Curriculum Corp.
- 248.2 MB
- Current Version Average Rating:
- 5.00 (35)
- All Versions Average Rating:
- 5.00 (167)
- Other Apps By This Developer
• SkySafari 3
• SkySafari 3 Plus
• SkySafari 3 Pro
• SkySafari 4
• SkySafari 4 Plus
• SkySafari 4 Pro