Kitchen Knife Skills: Essentials for the Confident Cook
Take charge of slicing and dicing! Learn the essential Kitchen Knife Skills from a Food Network pro on this Betterbook, made exclusively for the iPad and iPhone.
Prop this up by your cutting board, and dive into 36 HD video tutorials, interactive guided tours, and illustrated step-by-steps. From tricky basics like cutting onions and tomatoes to the more complicated realm of poultry, seafood, and red meat, it's all here. “Kitchen Knife Skills” is the foundation for any aspiring home cook.
★ “‘Kitchen Knife Skills’ is a beautiful app book made by Open Air Publishing, the same folks behind our favorite apps like Speakeasy Cocktails and Wine Simplified. Their app books are always expertly designed and useful.”—GIZMODO
WHY IT’S A BETTERBOOK
“Kitchen Knife Skills” is a book made exclusively for the iPad and iPhone, and includes:
★ 36 HD video tutorials from Food Network veteran, Sarah Copeland
★ Dozens of interactive guided tours and retina photo step-by-steps
★ Extensive knife buying guide
★ Quick-reference glossary and pop-up tips with key terms, definitions, and photos accessible throughout
► Watch our short trailer video at betterbook.com/knife
WHAT THE BOOK WILL DO
★ Tackle Tricky Food Situations
With full videos and comprehensive step by steps, this is the ultimate guide to every slice, dice, and chop situation in the kitchen.
• Chop an onion without the tears
• Create perfect apple wedges
• Mince garlic for a perfectly seasoned dish
• Take the intimidation out of carving a turkey, cutting up a whole chicken, or filleting a fish.
★ Safety First
Feeling tentative with a sharp blade? Creating stability and balance is key, and it starts with the proper grip. Learn how to hold the knife and prepare your food both safely and efficiently.
★ Get the Right Knife for You
Technique isn’t everything; the tools are important, too! Learn the difference between European and Japanese knives, and with our buying guide, find the perfect knife for you on any budget.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
• Cutting onions
• Tomato slices and wedges
• Pears and apples
• Oranges, lemons, and limes
• Mango and papaya
• Peaches, nectarines, and plums
• Carrots, parsnips, cucumbers, and zucchini
• Celery and fennel
• Hot Peppers
• Leafy greens like basil, kale and cabbage
• Cutting up and splitting a whole chicken
• Carving a turkey, prime rib roast, or a bone-in ham
• Cleaning, gutting, and filleting a whole fish
• Butterflying shrimp
• Prepping lobster
• Trimming beef tenderloin
• Cutting flank steak
★ Author: Jane Kirby
Jane is a food writer and educator, and founder of the Vermont Cooking School & Farm. She has worked for Real Simple magazine, Glamour, Ladies’ Home Journal, Good Housekeeping, and Eating Well magazine. She has authored several books including Dieting for Dummies and Eat Great, Lose Weight.
★ On-Camera Expert: Sarah Copeland
Sarah is a New York City-based writer, food expert, and urban gardener, and her recipes and articles have appeared in Saveur, Food & Wine, and Real Simple. She was a long-time recipe developer for the Food Network and has published one cookbook, The Newlywed Cookbook, and has another to be published in 2013, Mostly Vegetarian.
Share with Others
- Last changed:
- Apr 02, 2013
- Food & Drink
- Open Air Publishing
- Average Rating:
- 4.50 (14)
- 80.2 MB
- Other Apps By This Developer
• Better Bacon: Chef Recipes & How to Make Your Own
• Blackjack Domination: Learn Strategy & Card Counting from Las Vegas Pros
• Holiday Recipes & Party Planning Guide, by Food52
• Make Your Wedding: Inspiration, Planning, and DIY Projects
• Master Your DSLR Camera: A Better Way to Learn Digital Photography
• Positively Dog Training: The Better Path to a Well-Behaved Pup
• Ready, Set, Baby! The Watch and Learn Guide to Your Baby’s First Year
• Speakeasy Cocktails: Learn from the Modern Mixologists
• Wine Simplified: Learn Food and Wine Pairing, and Shop with Confidence