Beginning Perl for Bioinformatics
By James Tisdall
Published by O'Reilly Media (http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596000806/)
With its highly developed capacity to detect patterns in data, Perl has become one of the most popular languages for biological data analysis. But if you're a biologist with little or no programming experience, starting out in Perl can be a challenge. Many biologists have a difficult time learning how to apply the language to bioinformatics. The most popular Perl programming books are often too theoretical and too focused on computer science for a non-programming biologist who needs to solve very specific problems.
Beginning Perl for Bioinformatics is designed to get you quickly over the Perl language barrier by approaching programming as an important new laboratory skill, revealing Perl programs and techniques that are immediately useful in the lab. Each chapter focuses on solving a particular bioinformatics problem or class of problems, starting with the simplest and increasing in complexity as the book progresses. Each chapter includes programming exercises and teaches bioinformatics by showing and modifying programs that deal with various kinds of practical biological problems. By the end of the book you'll have a solid understanding of Perl basics, a collection of programs for such tasks as parsing BLAST and GenBank, and the skills to take on more advanced bioinformatics programming. Some of the later chapters focus in greater detail on specific bioinformatics topics. This book is suitable for use as a classroom textbook, for self-study, and as a reference.
The book covers:
* Programming basics and working with DNA sequences and strings
* Debugging your code
* Simulating gene mutations using random number generators
* Regular expressions and finding motifs in data
* Arrays, hashes, and relational databases
* Regular expressions and restriction maps
* Using Perl to parse PDB records, annotations in GenBank, and BLAST output
Superb Reading Features
Through a partnership between O'Reilly Media and Lexcycle, this app includes the same features that have made Stanza an iPhone phenomenon with over a million downloads:
* Full book text search
* Several fonts and themes to choose from
* Built-in dictionary
* The ability to add annotations
* Landscape view
* Extensive cross-referencing and working hyperlinks
* Zoom function for images and screenshots
About O'Reilly Media
O'Reilly Media spreads the knowledge of innovators through its books, online services, magazines, research, and conferences. Whether it's delivered in print, online, or in person, everything O'Reilly produces reflects the company's unshakeable belief in the power of information to spur innovation. Learn more about Ebooks from O'Reilly at oreilly.com/ebooks.
Lexcycle is the creator of Stanza Bookbinder which was used to create this standalone book application. Stanza Bookbinder is based on the popular iPhone Ebook reading application, Stanza. For more information about Stanza, visit www.lexcycle.com.
Share with Others
- Last changed:
- Dec 14, 2010
- O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- Average Rating:
- No data
- 5.9 MB
- Other Apps By This Developer
• Cooking for Geeks by Jeff Potter - Complete Book, Interactive Edition
• Fluent Conference – the Official Event App for the O’Reilly Fluent Conference
• HTML 4 & 5: The Complete Reference
• OSCON – the Official Event App for the O’Reilly Open Source Convention
• Strata – The Official Event App for O’Reilly Strata Conference
• Velocity Conference – the Official Event App for the O’Reilly Velocity Conference