Football (the American version, that is) season is upon us again and EA has marked the time of year appropriately with the release of its popular sports game for the iPhone and and iPad. Madden NFL 12 debuted in the App Store today in two flavors–one specifically for the iPad and its larger screen and another for the iPhone and iPod touch.
From the description for both apps:
- BOOM! The most authentic NFL game franchise on Earth is back on mobile for a new season – and better than ever! With harder hitting action and beefed up rosters (over 2,500 real NFL players!) get your football fix now!
- GET IN THE GAME Feel the impact of every game-changing tackle with smoother, harder hitting collision effects. Go deep with sharper gameplay and cleaner graphics than ever before.
- AUTHENTIC NFL ACTION Choose from the 32 NFL teams and battle it out in their true-to-life stadiums. Make trades, track stats, and launch winning strategies from in-depth playbooks, unique to every team.
- GO FOR GRIDIRON GLORY ON ORIGIN! Register for Origin and take your favorite NFL team to the top spot of the leaderboards. Savor every victory as you rack up challenging achievements.
- MULTIPLE MADDEN NFL MODES Jump right in with Exhibition Mode, play through an entire 16-game NFL season in Season Mode, or relive the 2010/2011 playoffs.
There are some active threads over in the forum of our sister site, TouchArcade, discussing the iPad version and the iPhone/iPod touch version if you want to get a feel for how users are finding the game.
If you’re not sure if you want to plunk down $6.99 or $9.99 for one of these apps, EA offers a free version of the 2011 edition, Madden NFL 11, which lets you play a one-quarter exhibition game between the Saints and Colts. From what I’ve seen so far, game play has not changed much in the new version though it features updated rosters to accurately reflect players and teams in the 2011-12 season.
[applink url=”http://appshopper.com/games/madden-nfl-12-by-ea-sports, http://appshopper.com/games/madden-nfl-12-by-ea-sports-for-ipad”]