AutoCAD, the venerable computer-aided design software developed by AutoDesk, is now available for the iPhone and iPad. The free universal app allows users to view and edit AutoCAD files stored on AutoCAD’s web-based editor and storage service. AutoDesk first announced the pending availability of the app in late August, along with a native version of the desktop software for the Macintosh OS, ending a long absence from the platform that began in the early 90′s.
The app’s full feature list includes the following:
- Open DWG drawings uploaded to your free* AutoCAD WS online workspace
- See all aspects of your DWG file, including external references, layers, and image underlays
- Use Multi-Touch zoom and pan to more easily navigate very large drawings
- Tap objects to select, then move, rotate, and scale
- Draw or edit shapes with accuracy using Snap and Ortho modes
- Add and edit text annotations directly on your device; no need for paper mark-ups
- Validate distance measurements in the drawing while you are onsite at the actual location
- Save your edits to your AutoCAD WS online workspace, so your drawings stay up to date
- Share designs with others directly from your device
- Work with other people on the same DWG file simultaneously
- View edits to drawings in real time: AutoCAD WS immediately captures changes made by you and others in your online workspace.