Nike released its Nike+ GPS app early this morning, offering Nike+ fans with a compatible device a way to track their runs without the requiring the $19 Nike shoe sensor accessory. Nike+ is a free service that tracks users’ running stats and offers the ability to set goals, join challenges, and connect with a large online community.
The app’s description lists the following:
- Download it on the go and start running anywhere. With this app in hand, track every indoor and outdoor workout easily, without a sensor.
- Record your pace, distance and run route using the iPhone’s GPS and accelerometer technology so you can focus on the road ahead, and relive your run later.
- Anytime you’re up for a challenge, push farther, faster, or longer to better reach your goals. Then celebrate your victories with fun, motivational messages from Nike’s top athletes.
- As you run, get voice feedback on how you’re doing or tap the map to see where you are. Then activate your personalized PowerSong for an extra boost.
- Quickly send each run to Nikeplus.com where you can brag to friends, join challenges, set goals and connect with the rest of the Nike+ community.
- The Nike+ GPS app was designed for the iPhone, but it’s also compatible with the iPod touch (without the mapping capabilities). Please note that continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
Apple first started including built-in Nike+ support into the iPhone 3GS and second-generation iPod touch. Using this built-in app, which can be activated in Settings, requires the use of a Nike+ sensor to be placed in or otherwise attached to one of the user’s running shoes. The sensor tracked the shoe’s movement to provide distance traveled and other information to the iPhone or iPod touch. The Nike+ GPS app obviates the need for this sensor since it uses the iPhone’s built-in GPS receiver to get location data instead.
For those running indoors on a treadmill, the app will use the iPhone’s or iPod touch’s accelerometer to gather pace data.
The Nike+ sensor retails for $19 from Apple. Comparatively, the $1.99 Nike+ GPS app is a great bargain for users with a GPS-capable iPhone model.