Apple has updated its MobileMe iDisk app to universal format, adding specific compatibility for the iPad and its larger screen along with iOS 4 features and more in version 1.2. MobileMe is a subscription service offered by Apple that provides cloud storage, push email, and over-the-air contacts, calendar, and notes synchronization between multiple devices. The service costs $99 per year (though it can often be had for less through Amazon or other retailers) and a free 60-day trial is available for new users as well.
The update includes the following:
- Designed for both iPhone and iPad
- Multitasking support for iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS (iOS 4 required).
- Quickly switch to another app and back to iDisk
- Play audio from your iDisk while using another app
- When app is opened, the last file or directory viewed is displayed
- Option to open iDisk documents in compatible apps such as iBooks
- When sharing a file, an email can be sent from any configured email account
- The URL for a shared file can be copied and pasted
- Various stability improvements
Apple has been a bit slow updating its own apps to make them officially compatible with the iPad’s larger screen. MobileMe iDisk is the first out of 5 apps the company first developed for the iPhone (MobileMe Gallery, Keynote Remote, Remote, and Texas Hold’em) to make the transition.