iOS iPhone Lifestyle
Microsoft Soundscape uses 3D audio technology to enhance your awareness of what is around you, and thereby help you get around and explore your surroundings.
Soundscape will place audio cues and labels in 3D space such that they sound like they are coming from the direction of the points of interest, parks, roads and other features in your surroundings.
You will need a pair of stereo headsets that you feel comfortable wearing outdoors. For example, bone conduction headsets, Apple AirPods and in-ear open headphones have proven to work well.
Soundscape is designed to live in the background and provide you with effortless ambient awareness. Therefore, feel free to use it in conjunction with other apps such as podcasts, audio books, email and even GPS navigation.
- As you walk, Soundscape will automatically call out the key points of interest, roads and intersections that you pass. These can be adjusted and turned on and off.
- An audio beacon can be placed on a point of interest, and you will hear it as you move around. You can place an audio beacon on a point of interest that you would like to track such as your destination, a point to return to or a landmark you are familiar with.
- “My Location” describes your current location and the direction you are facing.
- "Nearby Markers" describes nearby places you have marked.
- “Around Me” describes nearby points of interest in each of the four cardinal directions, helping with orientation. Try this out when getting off a bus or leaving a train station.
- “Ahead of Me” describes points of interest in front of you, for example when walking down the street.
- The expandable Callout History section lets you review callouts you have heard, repeat callouts, hear more information about them, and more.
We hope you enjoy the experience. We believe that this kind of technology offers a new way to relate to the environment around you and we can’t wait to hear what you make of it.
If at any time you have any questions about Soundscape, please refer to the Help & Tutorials section available on the main menu or if you require further help then you can contact the Disability Answer Desk on 1-800-936-5900 which is a free of charge service.
Welcome to Soundscape version 2: Introducing Audio AR for a hands-free ambient experience!
Soundscape now supports audio augmented reality headsets, starting with the newly released Bose Frames. With the Bose Frames you can put away your phone in your bag or pocket and enjoy a hands free Soundscape experience. The headset will track the direction of your head, allowing you to effortlessly hear the audio beacon and callouts in 3D. If you have the Bose Frames you’ll need to set them up in Soundscape by tapping the Audio AR Headset item in the menu.
Other changes to look out for in this release:
- When setting an audio beacon or creating a marker you will now find it much easier to locate and open the list of nearby places and filter for nearby bus stops or restaurants.
- The menu and settings pages have changed to simplify your experience and make it easier to find what you need.
- Soundscape has been updated to work with the newly released iOS 13