iOS iPhone Lifestyle
Microsoft Soundscape uses 3D audio technology to enhance your awareness of what is around you, and thereby help you get around and explore your surroundings.
Soundscape will place audio cues and labels in 3D space such that they sound like they are coming from the direction of the points of interest, parks, roads and other features in your surroundings.
Switch between using Soundscape in the real world, or the virtual world, to help you build a picture of a place effortlessly.
You will need a pair of stereo headsets that you feel comfortable wearing outdoors. For example, bone conduction headsets, Apple AirPods and in-ear open headphones have proven to work well.
Soundscape is designed to live in the background and provide you with effortless ambient awareness. Therefore, feel free to use it in conjunction with other apps such as podcasts, audio books, email and even GPS navigation.
- As you walk, Soundscape will automatically call out the key points of interest, roads and intersections that you pass. These can be adjusted and turned on and off.
- An audio beacon can be placed on a point of interest, and you will hear it as you move around. You can place an audio beacon on a point of interest that you would like to track such as your destination, a point to return to or a landmark you are familiar with.
- "My Location" describes your current location and the direction you are facing.
- "Nearby Markers" describes nearby places you have marked.
- "Around Me" describes nearby points of interest in each of the four cardinal directions, helping with orientation. Try this out when getting off a bus or leaving a train station.
- "Ahead of Me" describes points of interest in front of you, for example when walking down the street.
We hope you enjoy the experience. We believe that this kind of technology offers a new way to relate to the environment around you and we can’t wait to hear what you make of it.
If at any time you have any questions about Soundscape, please refer to the Help & Tutorials section available on the main menu or if you require further help then you can contact the Disability Answer Desk on 1-800-936-5900 which is a free of charge service.
- You can now experience Soundscape from the comfort of your home! Use Soundscape Street Preview to explore your neighborhood, study a new area, or visit a faraway place. Choose a starting location by searching for a place, exploring nearby places or browsing your markers and select the "Soundscape Street Preview" button to start.
- You might notice some changes to the Soundscape home screen. You can now search for a location, browse places nearby and access your markers right from the home screen. Once you select a location, easily start the audio beacon, save it as a marker, preview the street layout at that location or share it with a friend.
- Easily share your current location with a friend so that they can find you using Soundscape. Just tap "Current Location" on the home screen and select "Share" to send it via text message or email.
- Starting from this version, all of your markers are automatically saved in iCloud and will be transferred to any device where you install Soundscape with the same Apple ID. Go and enjoy marking up your surroundings with Soundscape!
Remember to check out our blog with a growing set of useful COVID-19 resources for Soundscape users and mobility instructors.