Popular Mechanics Used Car Checklist
Before you buy a used car, thoroughly inspect it with the help of this 101-point checklist from the automotive pros at Popular Mechanics. It’s fun and easy to use. The app keeps track of problems you spot and stores the information for later, along with photos and your own notes. The goal of this app is to get you, the buyer, to see, feel, and, yes, smell the entire car, which will help you judge its condition.
Note: While this checklist is rigorous, it’s impossible to predict when mechanical or electrical components will fail. Remember, you can always take the car to a certified mechanic for a second opinion.
Good for novices as well as experts: Each question requires a simple Yes or No answer. Most require no tools.
Letter grades (A through F) are updated after every question.
Add photos and notes.
The checklist is divided into eight sections: Basics, Exterior, Interior, Underbody, Engine, Engine Advanced, Powertrain, and Test Drive.
Email your vehicle summary to a friend or trusted mechanic for a second opinion.
Within each section, questions are ranked from highest priority to lowest priority.
See used-car shopping tips and a list of what to bring for an inspection.
You will receive warnings if you answer Yes to the highest priority questions, called Deal Breakers.
Share with Others
- Last changed:
- Apr 03, 2012
- Hearst Communications, Inc.
- Average Rating:
- 2.50 (14)
- 36.8 MB
- Other Apps By This Developer
• Country Living Magazine
• Elle Decor Magazine
• Harper's Bazaar Magazine
• Marie Claire iPad Edition
• Popular Mechanics Magazine
• Redbook Magazine
• Road & Track Magazine
• Town & Country Magazine
• Veranda Magazine
• Cosmopolitan Magazine
• Cosmopolitan for Latinas
• Cosmopolitan's Sex Position of the Day
• Country Living Holiday Cookies
• Country Living Tree Mail HD
• Country Living Treemail
• ELLE DECOR Lookbook
• Esquire Archives: Oct 2010 - Oct 2012
• Esquire Magazine
• Esquire's The Big Black Book Spring 2012
• Esquire's The Hardest Puzzle Ever
• Food Network Magazine
• Food Network Magazine December 2011
• Food Network Magazine Summer 2011
• Good Housekeeping Magazine
• Good Housekeeping Scanned Sealed Delivered
• Good Housekeeping’s Anti-Aging Beauty Shopper
• HGTV Magazine
• Harper's BAZAAR/ShopBAZAAR
• House Beautiful Connect
• House Beautiful Magazine
• House Beautiful’s 500+ Favorite Paint Colors
• O The Oprah Magazine
• O, The Oprah Magazine Archive: Dec 2010 - Dec 2012
• PM Special
• Popular Mechanics Be The Spark
• Popular Mechanics QuakeTracker
• REDBOOK Look, Love, Shop!
• Road & Track Best Photos
• Seventeen Magazine
• Seventeen Shopping Insider
• Seventeen's Ultimate Fashion Flipbook
• The Personal Style Experience by Revlon for iPad
• The Personal Style Experience by Revlon for iPhone
• Woman's Day Access WD
• Woman's Day Magazine