ChatSecure - Encrypted Messenger
iOS Universal Social Networking
ChatSecure is a free and open source messaging app that features OTR encryption over XMPP. You can connect to an existing Google account, create new accounts on public XMPP servers (including via Tor), or even connect to your own server for extra security.
Unlike other apps that keep you stuck in their walled garden, ChatSecure is fully interoperable with other clients that support OTR and XMPP, such as Adium, Jitsi, and more.
ChatSecure only uses well-known open source cryptographic libraries to keep your conversations private. Other apps may make claims about 'military grade' security but, without publicly auditable source code and verifiable end-to-end encryption, you cannot be truly safe.
* XMPP with TLS certificate pinning.
* OTR for verifiable end-to-end encryption and forward secrecy.
* OMEMO for a mobile-friendly alternative to OTR.
* Tor integration for easy access to XMPP .onion services.
* SQLCipher to locally encrypt conversation logs.
* Free and Open Source: https://github.com/chatsecure/chatsecure-ios
Follow @ChatSecure on Twitter: https://twitter.com/chatsecure
►► ChatSecure Donations
Subscribe to ChatSecure to help make developing free and open source privacy tools sustainable. We welcome any contribution to support ongoing development. The donation levels are currently $2.99/month, $5.99/month or $19.99/month. Here's what you get:
• Feel good supporting indie software
• Continued development and updates
• Help keep the app free for everyone
To manage your subscription:
• You can turn off auto-renewal via the main Settings app: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4098
• Subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period. Your iTunes account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period, and identify the cost of the renewal.
• Payment will be charged to iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase.
What's new in v4.0.9:
* **NEW**: Now you can support continued development via in-app purchase. Help make developing free and open source privacy tools sustainable!
* Partial fix for bug where keyboard covers chat area
What's new in v4.0.8:
* DuckDuckGo is shutting down their server in early May! If your account ends in `@dukgo.com` you need to migrate to a new server ASAP!
* **NEW**: Account migration tool. Automatically create new account, move existing contacts, archive old conversations, and optionally notify old contacts of new account info.
* **NEW**: Inbox / Archive. In addition to swipe-to-delete, there is now swipe-to-archive, which allows decluttering the inbox without deleting conversation history.
* Fix a nasty bug introduced in 4.0.7 that could prevent OMEMO sessions from working. If your outgoing OMEMO messages were no longer getting delivery receipts, send some messages back and forth and it should fix the issue. When you receive an undecipherable message it will clear the session, which allows the session to be re-initiated on your next outgoing message.
* Improve discoverability of group chat by replacing icon with "Group Chat"
* Join existing group chats
* Show icons to indicate media in conversation list message preview, and show warning if message had an error.
* Disable deadlock detector because it was causing crashes on slower devices
* Now available in France!
What's new in v4.0.7:
* Fix issue receiving short OMEMO messages from users of the Conversations app
* Partially fix issue where invalid OMEMO bundles are published
* Deadlock detector: If the app is frozen, please wait ~20 seconds for it to crash, then relaunch and submit a crash report.
* Remove Dukgo from server list because their server will be shutting down soon. See https://twitter.com/cfarivar/status/852193164207063040
* Add additional public community servers to list. Full list here: https://github.com/ChatSecure/xmpp-server-list
* home.zom.im is now the default server for new account registrations
* Adding/removing contacts while temporarily disconnected is more reliable
* Update Catalan translation
What's new in v4.0.6:
* Fix crash affecting iOS 8 & 9 devices
What's new in v4.0.5:
* Shows notifications for incoming requests and outgoing approvals
* Displays idle status / last activity in the title bar, for instance "Active 10 min ago". This keeps track of the last time you interact with the app, and will report this value when queried by your contacts. The time you last interacted with the app is identical for all of your accounts, so broadcasting this value is disabled for Tor accounts and when auto-login disabled.
* Fixes a crash when viewing your account details on iOS 8 devices
* Fix issues with contacts that get stuck as "Pending Approval"