This app was removed from the App Store.
Wiki Offline — A Wikipedia Experience
iOS Universal Reference
* If you use iOS 7, please get Wiki Offline 2, not this version *
Wiki Offline delivers flexibility and joy for the Wikipedia experience. The full text of all Wikipedia articles are stored to your iPhone/iPad/iPod. You will literally hold the world's knowledge in the palm of your hands. No more worrying about slow internet connections, overage bandwidth charges, or traveling to areas without internet, because with Wiki Offline, Wikipedia will be there for you when you need it.
Join the myriad of scientists, teachers, frequent flyers, vacationers, parents, and knowledge lovers whose lives have been improved by Wiki Offline.
Wiki Offline brings joy to the reading experience. No more squinting at tiny text, no more eye strain from staring into a bright screen -- the entire display is customizable. Personalize your Wikipedia experience by organizing your favorite articles into folders for later enjoyment. Mark articles to be "read later" and build up a queue. Automatically import the latest text and images (internet required) and enjoy a beautifully formatted take on the legendary encyclopedia.
- "I've used all of the other Wikipedia apps and Wiki Offline is by far the best! It's faster, prettier and works better." -- Carl, Principal
- "This app settles arguments for me (I usually win)" -- Arrie, Businessman
- "Wiki Offline on an iPad is the closest thing yet to a real Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy! You have to admit that being able to hold that much knowledge in your hands is amazing." -- John, Software Engineer
- "I can't be the only one who feels like this app should have cost a lot more!. To have it so brilliantly designed with such a touch of elegance makes all the difference in the world. Way to go avocado hills. I love you guys." -- Jean, teacher in Haiti
- Enjoy the full text of all Wikipedia articles
- Use it in bed, 30,000 feet in the air, or 20,000 leagues under the sea
- Amazingly fast -- faster than an internet connection
- Embed images in articles (internet required) for the most beautiful experience
- Find terms within the page
- Full screen viewing for best reading experience
- Organize your searches into bookmarks and folders
- Full page history, reading queue, and table of contents help you navigate
- Personalize your reading experience by customizing the font, brightness, and color
- Available in English, Chinese, Italian, Arabic, Czech, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Portuguese, Norwegian, Turkish, Thai, Polish, French, Hungarian, Farsi, Japanese, Hebrew, Korean, Swedish, Danish, and Slovak!
Upon launching the app, you will be prompted to download Wikipedia onto your device. It has been meticulously compressed (English is 4.0GB) while maintaining all of the data in every single article. (Note that pictures and tables are not included, but can be downloaded from within the app). This download is fully resumable and hosted on high speed servers located around the world.
The initial download requires WiFi. If you don't have WiFi, you can email support for instructions on how to download the files and transfer them through your computer.
After the initial download, you will be able to browse all Wikipedia articles without internet access.
You can download the latest version of the database in the app, or you can download additional languages. Please note that there is a nominal $0.99 fee to partially offset our costs to deliver such large files.
- Instantly scroll to the beginning of an article by tapping the status bar (the very top of the screen)
- Double tap in an article to switch to full screen mode
- Pull down on the top of an article to lock the screen orientation
- Pinch an article to change the font quickly
- Pull down on the language list in the settings to check for updates
Don't be afraid to get in touch with us. User input is greatly appreciated -- in fact, most new features are suggested by users like yourself!
Now compatible with iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus