Virtual Engine Shop
iOS iPad Reference
*** 2014 Learning App Challenge Winner ***
The Advanced Distributed Learning (ADL) Initiative Co-Labs chose Virtual Engine Shop as the 2014 Learning App Challenge (LAC) Winner. The goal of the LAC is for participants to create and submit innovative Apps to help students acquire knowledge or skills by manipulating tasks, simulations, or situations that require students to critically evaluate what they are learning. The intent is to help students discover, understand, or apply what they have learned through the app. This year’s Challenge targeted mobile platform app solutions designed for grades K-12 or adult learners, restricted to original Mobile applications using Mobile Web, Android, or iOS. Apps were evaluated by a panel of experts in terms of technical quality, usability, and innovation.
Virtual Engine Shop was selected as the winner because the app uses fully interactive 3D models to engage the user in a crawl, walk, run approach to training on the disassembly and reassembly of engines and components, notable for its combination of lesson materials and applied virtual hands-on practice.
Be one of the tens-of-thousands who have joined the engine maintenance revolution! Virtual Engine Shop is the App Store's first truly interactive 3-D virtual engine maintenance trainer for your iPad or iPad Mini. This one-of-a-kind app comes from our years of experience in developing high-end virtual maintenance training applications for the U.S. Department of Defense and Fortune 500 companies.
Check out this list of cool features including our brand new Augmented Reality mode!
This app features:
● Three fully interactive 3-D models
○ Cummins 855 Diesel Engine
○ Caterpillar 3406 Diesel Engine
○ Allison 4500 SP Transmission ("See It" Mode only)
● Full teardown and rebuild lessons for the Cummins 855 and the Caterpillar 3406 (available as separate In-App Purchases)
● New free play and exploration modes (with respective engine purchase)
● Three lesson modes
○ See It: A watch and learn mode with DVR style controls
○ Try It: A guided practice mode where you get help performing the steps
○ Do It: A fully interactive mode where you prove your mastery of the procedure
● Augmented Reality mode! You are in control with this new fusion between the synthetic world and the real world!
● Navigation gestures
○ Tap to remove
○ One-finger drag to orbit
○ Two-finger drag to pan
○ Pinch to zoom
● Parts Constraints: Learn order of precedence with color-coded visual feedback
○ Yellow: Part is constrained
○ Red: The constraining part(s) that need to be removed
Like our Facebook page for up to date app information and special promo announcements.
• Built for iOS 8
• Fixed a pesky picking issue (sorry about that)
• Updated the Augmented Reality mode to use the latest version of vuforia