Pleco Chinese Dictionary
Pleco is the ultimate Chinese learning companion - an integrated Chinese dictionary / document reader / flashcard system with fullscreen handwriting input and live camera-based character recognition, from a company with over a decade of experience making mobile Chinese learning software.
• Great dictionaries: the built-in one has over 20,000 example sentences with Pinyin, the popular CC-CEDICT is available as a free add-on, and 7 other wonderful dictionaries are available as paid upgrades.
• Live Optical Character Recognizer: look up words simply by pointing your device's camera at them, or by tapping on them in a still image. (paid add-on)
• Fullscreen handwriting: use the entire width of your iPhone's screen to draw characters. Extremely accurate, with a recognition engine licensed from China's leading maker of handwriting input systems. (paid add-on)
• Flashcard System: create a card from any dictionary entry with a single button tap, import premade word lists, use advanced memorization techniques like SRS (spaced repetition), and study in a variety of modes including fill-in-the-blanks handwriting and tone drills. (paid add-on)
• Powerful search: look up words by Chinese characters, Pinyin (spaces and tones optional), or a combination, with support for wildcards and full-text search.
• Cross-referencing: tap on any Chinese character / word in any dictionary entry to bring up its definition.
• Audio Pronunciation: instantly hear a native-speaker audio recording of each Chinese headword; recordings are available for over 34,000 words. (paid add-on)
• Stroke Order Diagrams: animations showing you how to draw each character; over 20,000 characters are covered. (paid add-on)
• Document Reader: open a Chinese-language text file and look up unknown words simply by tapping on them. You can also look up characters on web pages and in Word / RTF documents via the pasteboard. (paid add-on)
• Mainland- and Taiwan-friendly: supports both traditional and simplified characters (in dictionary definitions, stroke order diagrams, searches, and the handwriting recognizer), and (experimentally) supports Zhuyin as well as Pinyin for headword search and display.
• User dictionaries: create new dictionary entries right on your device as you encounter new words. (paid add-on)
We also offer excellent customer support - send us an email and see for yourself - and an active user community in our discussion forums at http://www.plecoforums.com. And we're constantly working to make our products better; our sales and customer base have been steadily growing for 10 years across three different mobile platforms. You can be confident that we'll still be fixing bugs and adding new features for years to come.
Though our software is sold only through in-app purchases, those purchases can be transferred to other devices that sync to your iTunes account just as with any other iOS software; simply load up the free version on each device, open up the "Add-ons" screen, and tap on the "Restore Purchases" button to activate your purchase on each device.
Customers who already own our software on another platform should check out our website at www.pleco.com for upgrade / license transfer options.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, via the form at http://www.pleco.com/contact.html, or using the "Contact Support" button in the "Settings" tab within Pleco with any support questions - we'll be delighted to hear from you.
Few more OS6 fixes related to restoring previous purchases, orientation locking, and using external keyboards for Pinyin input, plus a fix for a crashing bug newly introduced in 2.2.12.
"Early access" versions of a few of the dictionaries we're working on (including the much-anticipated Classical-to-modern-Chinese one) will probably be submitted this week.
If you can, please take a moment to re-review our app - our average star rating gets reset each time we release an update. (there's no need to write another review unless you feel like it, though, those remain visible for all versions - all we really need is the star rating)
Previously in 2.2.12:
· Massively improved our handwriting recognition algorithm, which is now more accurate + supports a lot more characters. We were saving this for the big update, but had to backport it to our older software for the sake of this next item:
· Fixed a serious crashing bug in handwriting input on the iPhone 5.
· Added support for the new screen on the iPhone 5.
· Fixed a few minor iOS 6 bugs.
· Fixed an issue that prevented sentence breakdowns that contained punctuation marks from completing correctly.
· Fixed a bug that could prevent stroke order diagrams from rendering correctly on the iPad 3.
· Added support for some new types of hyperlinks in entries for the sake of some "early access" dictionaries from the big update.
This update requires iOS 4.3; unfortunately, it's no longer possible for us to support earlier versions of iOS, and in fact with our next big update we're planning to require iOS 5.1.
Share with Others
- Last changed:
- Oct 11, 2012
- Pleco Software
- Average Rating:
- 4.50 (226)
- 21.7 MB