Oxford English Idioms
iOS Universal Reference
The Oxford Dictionary of English Idioms takes a look at over 6,000 idiomatic phrases and sayings found in the English language. These include a range of recently established idioms such as the elephant in the corner, go figure, like a rat up a drainpipe, sex on legs, step up to the plate, too posh to push, a walk in the park, win ugly.
Inside you'll also find great number of cross-references, alongside hundreds of illustrative quotations, both modern and historical, to offer readers a clear idea of how the phrases can be used. Extra features offer fascinating additional information for many entries, drawn from the latest findings of Oxford's language monitoring program. Many entries include additional features which give more detailed background on the idiom in question.
"Anyone who is addicted to the richness of the English language or simply intrigued by the origin and meaning of an idiom like 'teach your grandmother to suck eggs' will relish this work"--Library Journal
• NEW! With the addition of a convenient Home page, a sleeker and more intuitive visual layout, as well as innovations in the speed of searches you can delve right into the intricacies of English faster and easier than ever!
• NEW! Translate and learn as you speak by using Talk & Translate– A speech recognition and text-to-speech app separate from this dictionary, which you can download for Free from the App Store. Whether you’re travelling or simply want to optimize your study of English, the great synergy between the two apps will be there to help you.Also includes advanced search and language tools that have become the staple of quality mobile language apps from MobiSystems with content from Oxford University Press.
SEARCH TOOLS – effortlessly find words using a clear, functional, and easy-to-use interface. The integrated search tools activate automatically the moment you start typing:
* Search autocomplete helps find words quickly by displaying predictions as you type
* Keyword lookup allows you to search within compound words and phrases
* An automatic ‘Fuzzy filter’ to correct word spelling, as well as ‘Wild card’ ('*' or '?') to replace a letter or entire parts of a word
* Camera search looks up words in the camera viewfinder and displays results
LEARNING TOOLS – engaging features that help you further enhance your vocabulary:
* ‘Favorites’ feature to create custom folders with lists of words from the extensive library
* ‘Recent’ list to help you easily review looked-up words
* ‘Word of the day’ section to help expand your vocabulary every day
If you have any questions, feedback or suggestions please contact us directly at email@example.com.
• iOS 11 support!
• Complete visual redesign
• New Home view for quick access to the most frequently used functions
• New Talk & Translate feature introduced
• Now Swipe to delete entries from the Favorites and Recent menus
• Navigate the Word of the Day entries by swiping
• Recently viewed entries will appear at the top of the search field
• Bug fixes