Oxford Dictionary of Arts
iOS Universal Reference
Covering Western art from the ancient Greeks to the present day, this best-selling and authoritative dictionary is more wide-ranging than any comparable reference work. It contains over 2,500 clear and concise entries on styles and movements, materials and techniques, and museums and galleries. It also includes biographical entries for artists, critics, collectors, dealers, and patrons, with places and full dates of birth and death (in many instances correcting misinformation that has found its way into other sources). For this new edition, entries have been thoroughly revised and updated, and more than fifty new entries have been added, for example Tracey Emin and Jack Vettriano.
Written in an engaging manner with many entries enlivened by quotations from artists and critics, this dictionary is a pleasure to browse. Previously entitled The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Art and Artists, this major new edition is essential for students and teachers of art, design, art theory, and art history, and it is ideal for artists, visitors to art exhibitions and galleries, and anyone with an interest in art.
• NEW! With the addition of a convenient Home page, a sleeker and more intuitive visual layout, as well as innovations in the speed of searches you can delve right into the intricacies of English faster and easier than ever!
• NEW! Translate and learn as you speak by using Talk & Translate– A speech recognition and text-to-speech app separate from this dictionary, which you can download for Free from the App Store. Whether you’re travelling or simply want to optimize your study of English, the great synergy between the two apps will be there to help you.
This is a mobile dictionary with content from Oxford University Press and advanced search and language tools that have become the staple of quality language apps from MobiSystems.
SEARCH TOOLS – effortlessly find words using a clear, functional, and easy-to-use interface. The integrated search tools activate automatically the moment you start typing:
* Search autocomplete helps find words quickly by displaying predictions as you type
* Keyword lookup allows you to search within compound words and phrases
* An automatic ‘Fuzzy filter’ to correct word spelling, as well as ‘Wild card’ ('*' or '?') to replace a letter or entire parts of a word
* Camera search automatically searches for words in the camera viewfinder and displays results
LEARNING TOOLS – engaging features that help you further enhance your vocabulary:
* ‘Favorites’ feature to create custom folders with lists of words from the extensive library
* ‘Recent’ list to help you easily review looked-up words
* ‘Word of the day’ section to help expand your vocabulary every day
If you have any questions, feedback or suggestions please contact us directly at email@example.com.
• Complete visual redesign
• New Home view for quick access to the most frequently used functions
• New Talk & Translate feature introduced
• Now Swipe to delete entries from the Favorites and Recent menus
• Navigate the Word of the Day entries by swiping
• Recently viewed entries will appear at the top of the search field
• Bug fixes