Oxford A-Z of English Usage, 1st Edition
iOS Universal Reference
The Oxford A-Z of English Usage is a comprehensive guide to a wide range of proper English pronunciation, spelling, grammar, word usage, hyphenation, and more...
Containing a gold mine of useful advice on a wide array of common writing and speaking problems, the A-Z of English Usage features essential information about correct English that is needed on a day-to-day basis in a handy alphabetical sequence. Based on Oxford's world-leading dictionary research and contemporary language monitoring, it answers questions such as the difference between "principle" and "principal", why it's wrong to use "octopi" as the plural of "octopus", and whether to use "alumni" as the plural of "alumnus."
Also includes advanced search and language tools that have become the staple of quality mobile language apps from MobiSystems with content from Oxford University Press.
SEARCH TOOLS – effortlessly find words using a clear, functional, and easy-to-use interface. The integrated search tools activate automatically the moment you start typing:
* Search autocomplete helps find words quickly by displaying predictions as you type
* Keyword lookup allows you to search within compound words and phrases
* An automatic ‘Fuzzy filter’ to correct word spelling, as well as ‘Wild card’ ('*' or '?') to replace a letter or entire parts of a word
* Camera search looks up words in the camera viewfinder and displays results
LEARNING TOOLS – engaging features that help you further enhance your vocabulary:
* ‘Favorites’ feature to create custom folders with lists of words from the extensive library
* ‘Recent’ list to help you easily review looked-up words
* ‘Word of the day’ section to help expand your vocabulary every day
* Fun and engaging ‘Anagrams’ word game gives you the opportunity to use newly learned words
IMPORTANT NOTE FROM THE DEVELOPERS:
If you have any questions, feedback or suggestions please contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
NEW! Invite friends - Share the app with your friends and let them know about this great reference tool!
NEW! Shortcuts for iPhone 6S, iPhone 6S+ and iPhone7 users only:
* invite and share with friends;
* review 'Word of the day' entries;
* access the camera look-up feature;
* search within the extensive database of the dictionary.