This app was removed from the App Store.
Oxford A-Z of English Usage 1st edition
iOS Universal Reference
•All the essential information about usage and correct English that is needed on a day-to-day basis;
•Entries on common issues of uncertainty and confusion in handy A-Z sequence;
•More than 20 feature articles on specific subjects such as hyphenation or Latin plurals;
•Based on Oxford's world-leading dictionary research and contemporary language monitoring
Is it correct to pronounce "mischievous" as a three-syllable word (miss -chi-vuhss) or a four -syllable word (miss-chee -vi-uhss)? If it is right to use "alumni" as the plural of "alumnus," why is it wrong to use "octopi" as the plural of "octopus"? Should we write "12 am" or "12 a.m."? What is the difference between "principle" and "principal"? Is it "just desserts" or "just deserts"?
If you don't know the answer to these questions, if you need a quick and effective guide to correct English, then Oxford A-Z of English Usage is just what you are looking for, containing a gold mine of useful advice on a wide array of common writing and speaking problems.
Editor: Jeremy Butterfield
A SEARCH TOOL
Featuring search autocomplete to help you find words quickly by displaying predictions similar to the terms you're typing. You also get enhanced search extras including:
• A quick search of words while you type
• A 'fuzzy filter' when you are not sure of the correct spelling of a word
• A 'keyword' search for finding key words within compound words
• A wild card search function (*) which can replace a letter or entire parts of a word
A LEARNING TOOL
Including a number of features that help you further enhance your vocabulary:
• A 'Favorites' feature to create custom folders with lists of words from the extensive library, including cross-curriculum words
• History list to help you easily review looked-up words
• Discover more about language with the special language notes
• See words in context with example sentences
• 'Word of the day' feature.
• The 'Flashcards' feature will expand your vocabulary by testing your knowledge of newly-learned words.
* Optimized for iOS 8
* New UI with improved search engine for optimal search results