Midori (Japanese Dictionary)
iOS Universal Reference
** Now with support for 3D Touch on the new iPhone and Split View on the iPad! **
Midori is an offline Japanese-English, English-Japanese dictionary. It's a perfect tool for those who are studying Japanese, with 890,000 entries, 150,000 example sentences, and many features that will make your Japanese learning experience much easier.
• More than 170,000 word entries. Each entry shows readings, meanings, and kanji breakdown.
• More than 12,000 kanji entries. Each entry shows readings, meanings, and example compounds.
• Example sentences with furigana (small hiragana above kanji).
• Words in example sentences are linked to the definitions.
• Over 6,000 kanji with stroke order diagrams and stroke order animations.
• Over 720,000 Japanese proper names, place names, given names, company names and product names.
SEARCH & TRANSLATE
• Search by kana, romaji, or combination of both, such as あき, aki, or aき
• Search by handwriting using real Japanese handwriting recognition
• Search by kanji radicals, e.g. 禾 + 火 -> 秋
• Search suggestion when the input is in a conjugated form, e.g. 走った -> 走る
• Search with wildcard characters, e.g. 日*人 returns all words that start with 日 and end with 人
• Search with the SKIP system
• Partial results when the full word is not found, e.g. searching for 青い本 returns the results for 青い and 本
• Fast incremental search gives you the result instantly as you type
LISTS & BOOKMARKS
• List of kanji as taught in Japanese schools from grade 1 to 6
• List of kanji by frequency as appeared in Japanese newspapers
• List of kanji and words by Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) levels
• Lists of hiragana and katakana, each with stroke diagram and animation
• Bookmarks with folders support. You can export, import, or share bookmarks with your friends.
• Flashcards for bookmarked words and kanji with spaced repetition system
• Audio pronunciations (from speech synthesis)
• Create a vocabulary list with definitions from Japanese text in one tap
• Scratch pad for practicing writing kanji on iPad
• No internet connection required. The app is completely offline.
• 3D Touch support on iPhone 6S and 7
• Split View on compatible iPad
• Universal app. Buy it once, run on all your iOS devices, whether it's iPhone or iPad
Please visit our website at www.midoriapp.com to learn more about the app. If you have any questions, please let us know via email at email@example.com or Twitter @MidoriApp. Thank you!
We value our customers' satisfaction and don't want you to make a wrong purchase. Please read the following notes carefully:
• The handwriting recognition requires correct stroke order, though it allows a few incorrect strokes for some kanji.
• The app shows pronunciations in hiragana, not romaji. Do not buy this app if you can't read hiragana.
- Dark Mode (enable in Settings > Midori)
- Faster bookmarks: it takes only 2 taps to bookmark a word
- Common words are marked "common" (optional)
- Bookmarked words are highlighted in search results
- Dynamic Type: Midori now uses the text size in Settings > Display > Text Size
Other small changes:
- More legible font size on iPhone
- Jinmeiyō kanji are marked as such
- No delay when tapping a link in the Translate tab
- Adjustable speaking rate
- Bug fixes