This app was removed from the App Store.
HuayuNavi Chinese Live Dictionary [Traditional]
iOS iPhone Reference
Note: This app is optimized for the iPhone 4 and works best with its HD camera.
Chinese Live Dictionary allows you to directly look up Chinese Characters (Hanzi) and words in a printed text. No need to know how to use a printed dictionary, the stroke order or transcription of a character! Simply select it in real-time with the iPhone's camera, and you get a translation as well as a pinyin transcription. Read books and newspapers even though you are still learning and don't know all the characters in it or use it to quickly translate text during your travels in China to better explore its culture!
* Depedening on the active mode, select a single Chinese character or two characters with the red rectangle. Try to avoid having parts of other characters in each square.
* Once the program has finished recognizing, one or more characters or phrases will appear on the screen. The candidate most likely to be correct is highlighted in blue. Click other candidates to see their translation on the bottom of the screen.
* To continue with the next character or phrase, tap anywhere on the screen outside the controls.
* You can pause the program at any time and look at the last character candidates by tapping the screen anywhere outside the controls.
* Expanding the red rectangle by tapping its center and dragging it down or right gives you two red squares to recognize a two-character phrase horizontally or vertically
* You can resize the red square by dragging the upper left corner
* Results are better the sharper the picture is - do not get closer with the camera than necessary. Avoid shadows on the text.
* If several characters recognized in sequence form a phrase/ multi-character word, it will appear on the right side of the screen. Click it for a translation.
* The bottom panel gives a quick translation. To see if more information is available, swipe the bottom panel up.
* Use the four slots below the history to combine characters into phrases. Drag characters from the history into the slots. If a translation for a combination of characters placed in the slots exists, the phrase will light up blue and its translation will show in the translation window.