CORE Research Mobile
iOS Universal Reference
CORE (http://core.kmi.open.ac.uk) is a system that aims to facilitate free access to scholarly publications. CORE provides access to millions of scholarly articles distributed across many Open Access repositories.
This application is a CORE mobile client for iPhone and iPad. The application makes it possible to search for scholarly publications available in CORE completely free of charge. The publications can be downloaded and stored on your device, for example in iBooks.
One of the main characteristics of CORE is that it enables searching for metadata and full-text content that is available as Open Access.Commercial publishers are charging high fees for providing access to content the creation of which has been paid by the taxpayer. CORE aims to work as a catalyst for change. Does it sound familiar that you discover an article you would like to read, but cannot access it
unless you pay a fee? This does not happen with CORE. While this means that CORE does not index full-text content for which a subscription is needed, it also means that all searchers for content are satisfied and all content is readily available.
We believe in free access to information. The mission of CORE is to:
- Support the right of citizens and general public to access the results of research towards which they contributed by paying taxes.
- Facilitate access to Open Access content for all by targeting
general public, software developers, researchers, etc., by improving search and navigation using state-of-the-art technologies in the field of natural language processing and the Semantic Web.
- Provide support to both content consumers and content providers by working with digital libraries and institutional repositories.
- Contribute to a cultural change by promoting Open Access.
- A brand new user interface
- Updated to iOS 7 design, feel and controls
- Enhanced bookmarking system
- Embedded CORE faceted search
- Full-text viewer embedded in the CORE Mobile application
- The ability to import downloaded articles into iBooks, Mendeley and other relevant software applications
- Functions with iCloud, resulting in automatic synchronisation of data between user's devices (e.g. iPhone and iPad).