Birds of the World
Pictoral database of the world's birds, with high-resolution images. Over 1300 birds covering many families are included here. Please note that only the scientific name, in most cases the common name, an image, and in some cases the location that the image was taken, are included in this app.
There is NO detailed information about the animal, such as lifestyle, mating habits, life cycle, etc. Thus, this app is mainly aimed at zoologists, ornithologists, students, professors, scientists, hobbyists, and those in the field who wish for help identifying birds, or learn their common or scientific names.
This is an excellent pocket reference for those who wish to learn more about birds, and especially if you are in the field. If you need help identifying a specimen, or if you need to look up a scientific or common name, this app may be just for you! This is a photo-based application.
A subset of the overall feature list for this application includes:
- Advanced search for all birds. The top 150 birds are returned by the search engine. If you need a more finely-tuned search, simply add more terms into the search field.
- Add/edit/remove birds, and access birds you added using My Birds. If you find animal data that needs revision, you can edit it using your on-screen keypad, or add your own interesting data, or perhaps an image that you took while in the field.
- You can rate birds on a 5-star system. Once rated, the bird entry is much easier to access later since you can just tap on the "Top Rated" button in the "More" section at the bottom of the screen.
- Mark your favorite birds, and view them in the Favorites area. This is similar to the "Top Rated" feature, but with more direct access since the button is always-visible at the bottom of the screen.
- E-mail any bird to a friend, and CC or BCC it, too.
- Rename categories and add/remove categories. We've given you a starting point to help you categorize and organize your birds, but you can always add more, or change the default categorization. Also, you can put any bird in up to 2 categories, if desired.
- Shake your mobile device for a random bird. This is just fun on every level. Your kids will like this one, too.
- "View All" birds for access to every item in the database. This can take a few seconds to load since there are a LOT of photos in this app.
- Use a simple "finger swipe" gesture to move from one bird to another, or use the previous/next buttons. Navigating this birds database has never been easier!
- Insert a textual comment about the bird. For example, you may want to keep some notes about where you last observed the bird. Or, perhaps you would like to keep track of where you learned about it, or when the photo was taken.
- The history feature keeps a log of what you've seen, so you can always go back to re-read about that animal you remembered from days ago.
- A Settings screen allows you to change the relative font sizes and the size of the history table.
UPGRADES ARE ALWAYS FREE for applications created by Darren Gates
If you liked this app, you'll probably also like things like "Animals Big and Small" and "Garden Plants DB" and many other knowledge-based applications by Darren Gates.
COPYRIGHT & LICENSE INFORMATION
The content contained in this application comes from a variety of public domain sources, including US government websites, Wikipedia Commons, public university websites, and public domain data archives. To the best of our knowledge, the images and content used in this app can be used in commercial products without license restriction.
If you have questions about our use of this content, or if you believe that some of this content may be copyrighted, please contact Darren Gates (the author) at email@example.com immediately. We take claims of copyright infringement very seriously, and will promptly remove any offending content.
Share with Others
- Last changed:
- Dec 02, 2009
- Darren Gates
- Average Rating:
- 3.00 (6)
- 18.5 MB