The World at War
Pictoral database of historical photos and drawings from World War I ("The Great War"), mostly from the US Government's National Archives.
This app is Volume #2 in my "World War I Historical Images" collection.
World War I was a military conflict that lasted from 1914 to 1918 and involved most of the world's great powers, assembled in two opposing alliances: the Allies (centred around the Triple Entente) against the Central Powers. More than 70 million military personnel, including 60 million Europeans, were mobilised in one of the largest wars in history. More than 15 million people were killed, making it one of the deadliest conflicts in history. This war (abbreviated as WW-I, WWI, or WW1) is also known as the First World War, the Great War, the World War (prior to the outbreak of the Second World War), and the War to End All Wars.
The United States National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) is an independent agency of the United States government charged with preserving and documenting government and historical records and with increasing public access to those documents.
You do not need an Internet connection to use this app. All images and information are viewable offline.
This is an excellent pocket reference for those who wish to learn more about the pictoral history of World War I, especially students and teachers.
A subset of the overall feature list for this application includes:
- Advanced search for all images. The top 150 results are returned by the search engine. If you need a more finely-tuned search, simply add more terms into the search field.
- Add/edit/remove images, and access images you added using My Images. If you find data that needs revision, you can edit it using your on-screen keypad, or add your own interesting data, or perhaps an image that you took while in the field.
- You can rate images on a 5-star system. Once rated, the entry is much easier to access later since you can just tap on the "Top Rated" button in the "More" section at the bottom of the screen.
- Mark your favorite images, and view them in the Favorites area. This is similar to the "Top Rated" feature, but with more direct access since the button is always-visible at the bottom of the screen.
- E-mail any image to a friend, and CC or BCC it, too.
- Rename categories and add/remove categories. We've given you a starting point to help you categorize and organize your images, but you can always add more, or change the default categorization. Also, you can put any image in up to 2 categories, if desired.
- Shake your mobile device for a random entry. This is just fun on every level.
- "View All" images for access to every item in the database.
- Use a simple "finger swipe" gesture to move from one image to another, or use the previous/next buttons.
- Insert a textual comment about the image.
- The history feature keeps a log of what you've seen, so you can always go back to re-read about that image you remembered from days ago.
- A Settings screen allows you to change the relative font sizes and the size of the history table.
UPGRADES ARE ALWAYS FREE for applications created by Darren Gates.
COPYRIGHT & LICENSE INFORMATION
The content contained in this application comes from a variety of public domain sources, including US government websites, Wikipedia Commons, public university websites, and public domain data archives. To the best of our knowledge, the images and content used in this app can be used in commercial products without license restriction.
If you have questions about our use of this content, or if you believe that some of this content may be copyrighted, please contact Darren Gates (the author) at firstname.lastname@example.org immediately. We take claims of copyright infringement very seriously, and will promptly remove any offending content.
Share with Others
- Last changed:
- Jan 23, 2010
- Darren Gates
- Average Rating:
- 2.50 (3)
- 75.7 MB