Space Images Database
Space: the final frontier of images! This application gives you over 2900 high-resolution images taken by hundreds of different observatories all over the world, including many images from the Hubble Space Telescope. Many NASA and university images are included here.
This app includes some basic information about the photo, like what the subject matter is, and some interesting facts about the subject matter (available for most, but not all, images).
You do not need an internet connection to use this app. All images and information are viewable offline.
This is an excellent pocket reference for those who wish to learn more about space exploration and astronomy. It's a great way to stimulate interest in science for kids, and can be used by teachers as a learning springboard to advanced topics in space and physics.
A subset of the overall feature list for this application includes:
- Advanced search for all space iamges. The top 150 images are returned by the search engine. If you need a more finely-tuned search, simply add more terms into the search field. Category-based search is available.
- Add/edit/remove images, and access images you added using My Images. If you find space data that needs revision, you can edit it using your on-screen keypad, or add your own interesting facts.
- You can rate images on a 5-star system. Once rated, the entry is much easier to access later since you can just tap on the "Top Rated" button in the "More" section at the bottom of the screen.
- Mark your favorite images, and view them in the Favorites area. This is similar to the "Top Rated" feature, but with more direct access since the button is always-visible at the bottom of the screen.
- E-mail any image to a friend, and CC or BCC it, too.
- Rename categories and add/remove categories. We've given you a starting point to help you categorize and organize your images, but you can always add more, or change the default categorization. Also, you can put any image in up to 2 categories, if desired. For example, an image of Earth might belong in "Earth" but also "Planets".
- Shake your mobile device for a random image. This is just fun on every level. Your kids will like this one, too.
- "View All" images for access to every item in the database. This can take a few seconds to load since there are a LOT of photos in this app.
- Use a simple "finger swipe" gesture to move from one image to another, or use the previous/next buttons. Navigating the database has never been easier!
- Insert a textual comment about the image. Or, perhaps you would like to keep track of which observatory took which photo.
- The history feature keeps a log of what you've seen, so you can always go back to re-read about that interesting Hubble photo that you remembered from days ago.
- A Settings screen allows you to change the relative font sizes and the size of the history table.
This app requires at least OS version 3.0
**** UPGRADES ARE ALWAYS FREE for applications created by Darren Gates *****
If you liked this app, you'll probably also like things like "Animals Big and Small" and "Garden Plants DB" and many other knowledge-based applications by Darren Gates.
COPYRIGHT & LICENSE INFORMATION
The content contained in this application comes from a variety of public domain sources, including US government websites, Wikipedia Commons, public university websites, and public domain data archives. To the best of our knowledge, the images and content used in this app can be used in commercial products without license restriction.
If you have questions about our use of this content, or if you believe that some of this content may be copyrighted, please contact Darren Gates (the author) at email@example.com immediately. We take claims of copyright infringement very seriously, and will promptly remove any offending content.
Share with Others
- Last changed:
- Jan 14, 2010
- Darren Gates
- 42.5 MB
- Current Version Average Rating:
- 3.50 (4)
- All Versions Average Rating:
- 3.50 (4)