Operation Enduring Freedom App
This app is a database of photographs from the US Military archives. Images come mainly from Google image searches, but also the several Department of Defense websites and archives.
The photos in this app focus on Operation Enduring Freedom (OEF), the US-led war in Afghanistan. The app contains some content that is not from OEF, but the majority of the content is. All branches of the military (including some allied military forces) are covered here.
In most cases, the title alone is sufficient to figure out what you're looking at. This is a great app if you like looking at some really awesome military stuff, and especially if you know someone who served in Afghanistan, or if you did yourself!
A subset of the overall feature list for this application includes:
- Advanced search for all images. The top 150 images are returned by the search engine. If you need a more finely-tuned search, simply add more terms into the search field.
- Add/edit/remove images, and access items you added using My Images. If you find that an image that you'd like to add a more complete desription to, you can edit it using your on-screen keypad, or add your own images that you may have available.
- Rate images on a 5-star system. Once rated, the image is much easier to access later since you can just tap on the "Top Rated" button (in the "More" section)
- Mark your favorite images, and save them in the Favorites area. This is similar to the "Top Rated" feature, but with more direct access since the button is always-visible at the bottom of the screen.
- E-mail any image to a friend, and CC or BCC it, too.
- Rename categories and add/remove categories. We've given you a starting point to help you categorize and organize your images, but you can always add more, or change the default categorization. Also, you can put any image in up to 2 categories, if desired.
- Shake your mobile device for a random image. This is just fun on every level. Your kids will like this one, too.
- "View All" images for access to every item in the database.
- Use a simple "finger swipe" gesture to move from one image to another, or use the previous/next buttons.
- Insert a textual comment about the image.
- The history feature keeps a log of what you've seen.
- A Settings screen allows you to change the relative font sizes and the size of the history table.
This app requires at least OS version 3.0
UPGRADES ARE ALWAYS FREE for applications created by Darren Gates
If you liked this app, you'll probably also like things like "10,000 Science Facts" and "10,000 Amazing Facts" and many other knowledge-based applications by Darren Gates.
COPYRIGHT & LICENSE INFORMATION
The content contained in this application comes from a variety of public domain sources, including US government websites, Wikipedia Commons, public university websites, and public domain data archives. To the best of our knowledge, the images and content used in this app can be used in commercial products without license restriction.
If you have questions about our use of this content, or if you believe that some of this content may be copyrighted, please contact Darren Gates (the author) at firstname.lastname@example.org immediately. We take claims of copyright infringement very seriously, and will promptly remove any offending content.
Share with Others
- Last changed:
- Feb 03, 2010
- Darren Gates
- Average Rating:
- 4.50 (3)
- 46.4 MB