This app was removed from the App Store.
Trail Maps by National Geographic
iOS Universal Navigation
Navigate through the backcountry or your urban jungle with Trail Maps by National Geographic. Loaded with seamless, high-resolution USGS topographic maps for the entire United States and GPS functionality, you’ll have the detailed maps you need for a safe and fun trip. The maps and high-resolution Microsoft Bing aerial images can be downloaded onto your device so there is no need for network access while you’re in the outdoors. Track your hikes and mountain bike trips, or just your walk around town.
- More than 55,000 seamless USGS topographic map quads and Microsoft Bing aerial images for all U.S. states -- including immediate online access and the ability to download both USGS topo quads and Bing aerial images for offline use
- GPS function enables the creation of waypoints and live tracking and includes measuring tools and a trip computer with distance, time and speed calculations
- Search for places of interest
- Email and share your tracks for with GPS devices and software
- Digital compass
Trails Maps by National Geographic features high-resolution, seamless scans of authentic USGS topographic maps, including the USGS 1:100,000-scale and 1:24,000-scale series. Copyright dates for these maps vary and not every trail in the U.S. is shown.
National Geographic welcomes your feedback and will be adding new features and content to the app in the future.
- GPS live tracking and compass require an iPhone 3GS or iPhone 4 to be fully functional.
- The app requires iOS 4.0+.
- Due to large file size and high resolution of the maps, please allow for a few minutes for download with a strong WiFi or 3G connection.
- Continuous use of GPS tracking, even if running in the background, can decrease battery life when left unchecked.
“It's basically command central for any hiking trip.” – Gizmodo App of the Day
“With a price tag of just US$2.99, Trail Maps offers a lot of value for anyone in need of backcountry navigation.” – Gadling
- Background tracking issue fixed