iOS iPhone Navigation
••• Version 5 Intro Sale! ••• As seen in Apple's Special Event Keynote, Theodolite is a multi-function viewfinder for iPhone and iPod touch that combines a compass, two-axis inclinometer, rangefinder, GPS, map, nav calculator, tracker, and geo-tag photo/movie camera into one indispensable app. Uses are endless, and the app is great for hiking, boating, hunting, golf, outdoor sports, sightseeing, navigation, and finding your way around. Theodolite is used extensively by surveyors, geologists, architects, engineers, competitive sportsmen, first responders, military personnel, and search and rescue workers around the world.
Theodolite lets you take geo-tagged camera images, screenshots, movies, and screen movies directly from the app, with 2X and 4X digital zoom and fast buffered saves. You can choose to overlay geographical data and custom notes directly on photos and movies for later reference.
View your current position on the built in map view, with optional new Outdoors maps that include topo contours (feet or meters), roads, trails, landmarks, campgrounds, ski lifts, and more. Custom "live" map markers continually update distance/heading relative to the current location. Share map markers and nav calculator points with other users of Theodolite and Theodolite HD via SMS text messages and e-mail. This powerful capability opens up a wide range of collaborative uses which include team land surveying, accident investigations, spotting of wild fires, triangulation of landmarks, and advanced tactical observation and targeting operations.
Theodolite includes features for serious users like a reference angle mode, a nav calculator, data logging, e-mail export with KML, system-wide clipboard integration, percent grade display, mil compass readout, optical rangefinders (including a mil-based reticle, sniper-style stadiametric graphs, and a variable 4X-24X scope), and colored lens filters to improve use in dark conditions and preserve night vision. The app can provide location in military grid reference system (MGRS) coordinates, universal transverse Mercator (UTM) coordinates, British/Irish National Grids, US National Grid, and six latitude/longitude formats.
Optional US State Plane coordinates include SPCS27 and SPCS83 zones covering all US States. The optional Datum Pack adds over 230 geodetic datums to the app for more accurate position and altitude computation from GPS data, covering regions and countries on all continents around the world.
With an optional in-app purchase to enable team tracking, you can share location with up to 20 people on Theodolite's map. Team tracking was developed in conjunction with search and rescue teams to offer a good balance between simplicity and performance.
Theodolite has been featured several times in iTunes in "Rewind: Hot Trends in Apps", "The World Around You", and "New and Noteworthy". It has been a #1 selling Navigation app in App Stores around the world. Since its introduction in 2009, Theodolite has defined augmented reality navigation. The app continually introduces new technologies, pushing the limits of iOS app development.
Find out why Apple named Theodolite one of the most amazing apps available and showed it being used to explore the Great Wall of China. Where will you take it on your next adventure?
Theodolite requires an iPhone or iPod touch (see the Theodolite HD app for use on iPad or iPad mini). Note: GPS and compass requires an iPhone. iPod touch devices do not have GPS or compass hardware.
Theodolite 5 is our biggest new release ever, with many new features and improvements. Here are some of them:
* In-app purchase for offline Outdoors maps with topo contours (feet or meters), roads, trails, landmarks, campgrounds, ski lifts, and more.
* In-app purchase for US State Plane Coordinates. SPCS27 and SPCS83 are included for all US state zones.
* Addition of US National Grid position formats with 10/100/1000 meter precision.
* New datums added to Datum Pack: GDA94, GGRS87, JGD2000, ETRS89, NZGD2000.
* Distance/heading to active selected map marker show on main display along with aim indicator arrows (lower left).
* Sweeping azimuth sight line added to map pointer.
* Status indicators for position and altitude now blink to indicate GPS activity and glow steady to indicate GPS lock.
* Hardware status screen now updates accuracy numbers in realtime.
* Position activity/lock indicator (spinning wheel) shown on current location map pin.
* Smoother location updates on map screen.
* Revised map marker popups for more display area to show long coordinates/names.
* Added search format selection buttons to map search bar.
* Improved finger tracking response of 4X-24X variable rangefinder reticle.
* Revised floating crosshair reticle target to track horizon (previously was a pendulum).
* Addition of camera tags to KML when using main screen mail export.
* Dramatically sharper optical quality on main screen when using zoom.
* Option to add note to a log entry.
* Added datum code to log entries.
* Fixed UTM position search issues.
* Corrected behavior of UTM and MGRS coordinates when legacy datums (NAD27) are used.
* Added description of datum to photo/movie data overlay.
* Fix for bug in altitude computations affecting some datums.
* Improvements to rangefinder rendering.
* Addition of photo EXIF tags including app name and elevation/horizon angles.
* Dual usage of WGS-84 coordinates for proper compatibility with map content and data export formats when running an alternate datum.
* Dozens of interface tweaks and improvements throughout the app.