Hohner MIDI Melodeon - CoreMIDI Button Accordion Control Surface
The Hohner MIDI Melodeon is a Button Accordion / Melodeon CoreMIDI control surface for the iPad.
The app doesn't produce any sound on it own, it is designed for playing hardware and software VST-style MIDI synthesizers via a CoreMIDI compatible interface connected to the dock connector or virtual MIDI instruments like IK Multimedia SampleTank® for iOS or Sonosaurus ThumbJam running on your iPad.
Please visit the app support website to see some amazing live demo videos and for the settings you will need to enable in the synth app you are using to have it work with the control surface.
The button layout is based on the iconic Hohner Erica diatonic accordion, and the built-in note guide will help you quickly learn your way around the buttons.
The app has essentially the same button spacing as the real instrument.
Touch the buttons with the fingers on your right hand to play. Buttons light up in green when touched.
Multiple buttons may be pressed at the same time to make chords.
This style of accordion plays different notes depending on whether you are pushing or pulling on the bellows.
Touch the anywhere in the bellows image at the top of the screen for PUSH notes, lift your finger for PULL notes.
The PUSH/PULL indicator shows the current bellows direction. Also, the sides of the bellows light up tracking the bellows motion
You may slide your fingers between the buttons.
Touch the MIDI connector icon at the upper left corner to show the MIDI controls.
Using the controls, you may set the overall instrument MIDI volume, MIDI modulation, MIDI channel (1-8), key attack velocity playing style (fixed or variable), velocity min/max, and transposition (+/- 12 semitones).
Both fixed and variable velocity modes are provided to allow for expressive playback. In the variable velocity modes, the X or Y touch position within the bellows sets the velocity for the notes being played. The range for the velocity is set using the Min and Max Velocity sliders.
For fixed velocity, the Max Velocity slider value is used.
You may also set the Max Velocity to less than the Min Velocity to reverse the direction for velocity mapping in the bellows touch areas.
Select between B/C or D/G based layout. Other common tunings can be achieved by setting the transposition control.
For example, for C#/D tuning, select the B/C layout and set a +2 transposition.
Touch the '?' icon to show the base layout note names for each button (without transposition).
Touch the '!' icon at the top center to send an "All Notes Off" message to silence any "stuck" notes should they ever occur.
Touch the 'i' icon to show the instructions page.
All settings are saved when the app exits.
Here's the settings changes required for two popular synth apps:
IK Multimedia SampleTank:
- In Settings (touch the gear icon), enable "Background Audio"
- In "Prefs", under "MIDI Control", in "MIDI General Options" enable "Use CoreMIDI" and "Active in Background"
Other CoreMIDI compatible synth apps will have similar settings.
Bigger transpose and MIDI channel selector controls for use while playing live.
Share with Others
- Last changed:
- Mar 03, 2013
- Michael Eskin
- Average Rating:
- 2.50 (3)
- 6.2 MB
- Other Apps By This Developer
• Bagpipes - Play the Scottish Highland Bagpipes
• Bagpipes Royale - Play the Scottish and Swedish Bagpipes
• BorderPipesKeys - Scottish Border Pipes Piano
• BoxKeys - Piano Accordion with Three Reed Banks
• ButtonBox - Button Accordion as an English Concertina
• Canntina - MacCann-style Duet Concertina
• Concertina - C/G Anglo Concertina
• ConcertinaXL - 30-Button C/G Anglo Concertina for the iPad
• Duettina - Two-sided Hayden-style Duet Concertina
• Englitina - English Concertina
• EnglitinaXL - 48-Button English Concertina
• Flautina - Flute Concertina
• Hohner D/G - Mini Melodeon
• Hohner MIDI SqueezeBox - Tex-Mex Button Accordion CoreMIDI Control Surface
• Hohner-ADG SqueezeBox
• Hohner-B/C Double-Ray Black-Dot Button Accordion
• Hohner-B/C Mini Melodeon
• Hohner-BbEbAb SqueezeBox
• Hohner-C#/D Melodeon
• Hohner-C/F Melodeon
• Hohner-D/G Melodeon
• Hohner-EAD Mini SqueezeBox
• Hohner-EAD SqueezeBox
• Hohner-EAD Xtreme II SqueezeBox
• Hohner-FBbEb Mini SqueezeBox
• Hohner-FBbEb SqueezeBox
• Hohner-FBbEb Xtreme II SqueezeBox
• Hohner-G/C Melodeon
• Hohner-GCF Mini SqueezeBox
• Hohner-GCF SqueezeBox
• Hohner-GCF Xtreme II SqueezeBox
• MIDIAnglo - Anglo Concertina CoreMIDI Control Surface
• MIDIAngloXL - Anglo Concertina CoreMIDI Control Surface
• MIDIChanter - Scottish Bagpipes Chanter/Drones CoreMIDI Control Surface
• MIDIFlute - Irish Flute/Whistle CoreMIDI Control Surface
• MIDIKeys - Piano Keyboard CoreMIDI Control Surface
• MIDIPipes - Uilleann/Highland Bagpipes CoreMIDI Control Surface
• MIDIRegs - Uilleann Pipes Regulators/Drones CoreMIDI Control Surface
• MIDITina - English Concertina CoreMIDI Control Surface
• MIDITinaXL - English Concertina CoreMIDI Control Surface
• PipeKeys - Uilleann Bagpipes Keyboard in D
• PipeKeys HD - Irish Uilleann Bagpipes Keyboard
• PipeKeys HD Ultimate - Uilleann Pipes Keyboard in D, C#, C, B, and Bb
• PipeKeysB - Uilleann Bagpipes Keyboard in B
• PipeKeysB HD - Irish Uilleann "Flat Set" Bagpipes Keyboard
• PipeKeysC - Uilleann Bagpipes Keyboard in C
• ScotsPipes - Play the Scottish Highland Bagpipes
• SmallPipesKeys - Scottish Smallpipes Piano
• Säckpipa - Play the Swedish Bagpipes
• SäckpipaKeys - Swedish Bagpipes Piano
• Uilleann - Play the Irish Bagpipes
• Uilleann Classic - Play the Irish Bagpipes
• Uilleann-B - Play the Irish Bagpipes
• Uilleann-B Classic - Play the Irish Bagpipes
• Zydacco - Cajun/Zydeco One-Row Accordion
• Zydaccordion - Cajun/Zydeco One-Row Accordion
• ePipesDrones - Tunable Drones for Scottish Bagpipes Practice
• ePipesKeys - Scottish Highland Bagpipes Piano
• ePipesKeys HD Ultimate Bagpipes Keyboard
• iJammer - Jammer-Style CoreMIDI Control Surface