HexJam - Hexagonal Jammer Concertina
HexJam is a high-quality, easy-to-play, hexagon-based "Jammer-style" concertina.
Version 1.1 that fixes a possible crash issue found on iOS4 has been submitted to Apple for review.
Please visit my website for a live demonstration video!
The scale patterns are very intuitive, and the built-in note guide makes it easy to learn to play!
Concertinas, sometimes called "squeezeboxes", sound like a small accordion or reed organ.
The 52-button keyboard can be configured by a switch on the settings page to play with either the left or right hand. The keyboard has a 3 1/2 octave range.
Wikipedia has a great article about this style keyboard, just search for "Jammer Keyboard".
To play, simply touch the buttons. Buttons light up when playing.
Multiple buttons may be touched at the same time to play chords.
You may slide between buttons.
Touch the '?' icon to show the note names for each button.
Touch the 'i' icon to show the settings/help page.
The diagram at the top of the settings/help page shows the relative scale intervals from any single hexagon. The pattern is the same for every hexagon on the keyboard.
On the settings/help page, select between right and left hand layout.
Using the right hand layout, the notes for the scales go higher as you move to the right. Using the left hand layout, the notes for the scales go higher as you move to the left. The help diagram at the top of the screen will reflect the current setting.
Play along with tunes in your iTunes library by starting a track using the iTunes app on the device, then launching HexJam. Adjust HexJam's relative volume to the iTunes music by touching the 'i' icon and setting the volume slider.
Using the iPad's Settings app, under General/Home, enable the "iPod Controls" setting to allow you to bring up the iTunes control panel by double-clicking the home button while HexJam is running.
On the settings/help page, use the "Release Speed" slider to adjust the sound release speed slower to eliminate any clicks if heard between notes. By default, the value is set to the fastest release speed.
Uses high-quality audio samples recorded from an acoustic concertina.
Found and fixed root cause of possible iOS4 crash. Complete rewrite of audio engine for more responsive and faster play, and dramatically lower memory requirements.
Share with Others
- Last changed:
- Dec 12, 2011
- Michael Eskin
- Average Rating:
- 5.00 (2)
- 16.0 MB
- Other Apps By This Developer
• Bagpipes - Play the Scottish Highland Bagpipes
• Bagpipes Royale - Play the Scottish and Swedish Bagpipes
• Border Pipes - Scottish Border Pipes
• BorderPipesKeys - Scottish Border Pipes Piano
• BoxKeys - Piano Accordion with Three Reed Banks
• ButtonBox - Button Accordion as an English Concertina
• Canntina - MacCann-style Duet Concertina
• Concertina - C/G Anglo Concertina
• ConcertinaXL - 30-Button C/G Anglo Concertina for the iPad
• Duettina - Two-sided Hayden-style Duet Concertina
• Englitina - English Concertina
• EnglitinaXL - 48-Button English Concertina
• Flautina - Flute Concertina
• Hohner Cajun Mini SqueezeBox
• Hohner Cajun SqueezeBox
• Hohner MIDI Melodeon - CoreMIDI Button Accordion Control Surface
• Hohner MIDI SqueezeBox - Tex-Mex Button Accordion CoreMIDI Control Surface
• Hohner-ADG SqueezeBox
• Hohner-B/C Double-Ray Button Accordion
• Hohner-B/C Mini Button Accordion
• Hohner-BbEbAb SqueezeBox
• Hohner-C#/D Button Accordion
• Hohner-C/F Button Accordion
• Hohner-D/G Button Accordion
• Hohner-D/G Mini Button Accordion
• Hohner-EAD Mini SqueezeBox
• Hohner-EAD SqueezeBox
• Hohner-EAD Xtreme II SqueezeBox
• Hohner-FBbEb Mini SqueezeBox
• Hohner-FBbEb SqueezeBox
• Hohner-FBbEb Xtreme II SqueezeBox
• Hohner-G/C Button Accordion
• Hohner-GCF Mini SqueezeBox
• Hohner-GCF SqueezeBox
• Hohner-GCF Xtreme II SqueezeBox
• Irish Flute - Traditional Irish Wooden Flute
• MIDIAnglo - Anglo Concertina CoreMIDI Control Surface
• MIDIAngloXL - Anglo Concertina CoreMIDI Control Surface
• MIDIChanter - Scottish Bagpipes Chanter/Drones CoreMIDI Control Surface
• MIDIFlute - Irish Flute/Whistle CoreMIDI Control Surface
• MIDIKeys - Piano Keyboard CoreMIDI Control Surface
• MIDIPipes - Uilleann/Highland Bagpipes CoreMIDI Control Surface
• MIDIRegs - Uilleann Pipes Regulators/Drones CoreMIDI Control Surface
• MIDITina - English Concertina CoreMIDI Control Surface
• MIDITinaXL - English Concertina CoreMIDI Control Surface
• PipeKeys - Uilleann Bagpipes Keyboard in D
• PipeKeys HD - Irish Uilleann Bagpipes Keyboard
• PipeKeys HD Ultimate - Uilleann Pipes Keyboard in D, C#, C, B, and Bb
• PipeKeysB - Uilleann Bagpipes Keyboard in B
• PipeKeysB HD - Irish Uilleann "Flat Set" Bagpipes Keyboard
• PipeKeysC - Uilleann Bagpipes Keyboard in C
• ScotsPipes - Play the Scottish Highland Bagpipes
• Small Pipes - Scottish Smallpipes
• SmallPipesKeys - Scottish Smallpipes Piano
• Säckpipa - Play the Swedish Bagpipes
• SäckpipaKeys - Swedish Bagpipes Piano
• Uilleann - Play the Irish Bagpipes
• Uilleann Classic - Play the Irish Bagpipes
• Uilleann-B - Play the Irish Bagpipes
• Uilleann-B Classic - Play the Irish Bagpipes
• ePipesDrones - Tunable Drones for Scottish Bagpipes Practice
• ePipesKeys - Scottish Highland Bagpipes Piano
• ePipesKeys HD Ultimate Bagpipes Keyboard
• iJammer - Jammer-Style CoreMIDI Control Surface