Sobotta - Atlas of Human Anatomy, 15th Edition
The top-selling German anatomy app now available in English (anatomical nomenclature in Latin)!
The app includes all 12 chapters from the three volumes “General Anatomy and the Musculoskeletal System”, “Visceral Organs”, and “Head, Neck and Neuroanatomy” and stands out due to its excellent image quality.
You can learn anywhere and at anytime, add notes and bookmarks, and search for medical terms from every chapter throughout the whole Sobotta.
1 General Anatomy
Anatomy is the basis of medicine. Systematic anatomy divides the body into sections. Topographic anatomy (the study of the coexisting structures) and functional anatomy(the relations between form and function) constitute the clinical anatomy. Its findings play an important role for diagnostics and therapy.
2 Trunk (Torso)
The torso is supported by the vertebral column. Together with the ribs it gives the torso stability, protection and flexibility. A distinction is made between internal muscles of the body wall(which only act on the body wall) and muscles of the extremities (which originate from the body wall and act on the pectoral girdle and the limbs).
3 Upper Extremity
The upper extremity is composed of the pectoral girdle and the arm. Both merge into each other in the shoulder region. The upper limb has the biggest range of motion amongst all parts of the body, which results from the summarized ranges of motion from its individual components.
4 Lower Extremity
Pelvis and legs form the lower extremities as the organ of walking and supporting. The sturdy pelvic girdle bears the weight of the body and enables bipedal locomotion along with the legs.
5 Thoracic Viscera
The thorax contains the heart and the lungs. The heart as a hollow muscle pumps the blood into the pulmonary circulation and the (large) systemic circulation. The thoracic diaphragm extends from the backside of the sternum to the anterior surface of the thoracic vertebrae.
6 Abdominal Viscera
The liver, pancreas, gallbladder, stomach, duodenum and spleen are located in the upper abdomen, and the intestines lie in the lower abdomen. In order to ensure sliding movements of the visceral organs against each other(e.g. due to gastric filling) they are covered by peritoneum which is also lining the whole abdominal cavity.
7 Pelvis and Retroperitoneal Space
The retroperitoneal space and pelvis form a continuum: on the back of the gastro-intestinal tract lie the kidneys, the inferior caval vein(V. cava inferior) and the aorta. The greater pelvis is almost completely filled out by the intestines, whereas the lesser pelvis harbours the reproductive organs and the urinary tract.
The calvaria of the head are safely harbouring the brain. The craniofacial bones give humans their individual appearance, and their eyes, nose and ears enable the orientation and communication with their environment. The masticatory apparatus makes ingestion possible.
The eye is composed of the eyeball (bulbus) and auxiliary apparatus (eyelid, conjunctiva, lacrimal gland, ocular muscles). With exception of the eyelids, the eye as a vulnerable sensory organ is safely embedded into the eye socket(orbit).
The ear is divided into the outer, middle and inner ear. The sensory cells responsible for hearing and balance are located in the labyrinth of the inner ear.
The neck connects the head seamlessly with the rest of the body. Here, the large blood vessels, nerves and lymph vessels, but also the esophagus and trachea pass through a relatively tight space.
12 Brain and Spinal Cord
Brain and spinal cord compose the central nervous system. The peripheral nervous system starts where the cranial and spinal nerves leave the central nervous system.
Share with Others
- Last changed:
- Jun 01, 2012
- Elsevier, Inc
- Average Rating:
- 4.00 (12)
- 2.5 MB
- Other Apps By This Developer
• African Journal of Emergency Medicine
• American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
• American Journal of Ophthalmology
• American Journal of Preventive Medicine
• Andreoli and Carpenter’s Cecil Essentials of Medicine, 8th ed.
• Anesthesia Comprehensive Review
• Annals of Emergency Medicine
• Arthroscopy: The Journal of Arthroscopic and Related Surgery
• Biological Psychiatry
• Brain Imaging Case Review
• Braunwald’s Practice Guidelines
• CIMA Official Revision - E1 Enterprise Operations
• CIMA Official Revision - E2 Enterprise Management
• CIMA Official Revision - E3 Enteprise Strategy
• CIMA Official Revision - F1 Financial Operations
• CIMA Official Revision - F2 Financial Management
• CIMA Official Revision - F3 Financial Strategy
• CIMA Official Revision - P1 Performance Operations
• CIMA Official Revision - P2 Performance Management
• CIMA Official Revision - P3 Performance Strategy
• Case Reviews for iPhone and iPad
• Cell Press Journal Reader
• Cell SnapShots
• Chemical Resistance of Plastics and Elastomers
• Clinical Cases Fundamentals of Nursing
• Clinical Cases Nursing Care
• Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology
• Clinical Herbs
• Clinical Images, Captions and Flash Cards from Habif’s Clinical Dermatology 5th Edition
• Clinical Ophthalmology: A Synopsis
• Clinical Therapeutics
• Clinics Review Articles
• Desalination 2013
• EJC App
• Editors' Choice
• Elsevier App Shelf
• Emergency Medicine Secrets
• European Journal of Cell Biology
• European Journal of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery (EJVES)
• European Urology
• Experimental Hematology
• Ferriís Fast Facts in Dermatology
• Fertility and Sterility®
• First Consult
• Fleisher & Roizen’s Essence of Anesthesia Practice: Alternative Medicine & Tests A-Z
• Fleisher & Roizen’s Essence of Anesthesia Practice: Diseases A-Z
• Fleisher & Roizen’s Essence of Anesthesia Practice: Drugs A-Z
• Fleisher & Roizen’s Essence of Anesthesia Practice: Procedures A-Z
• Gastroenterology, Official Journal of the AGA Institute
• Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
• Goldmans Cecil Medicine, 24th edition
• Gray’s Anatomy Head and Neck for iPad
• Gray’s Anatomy for Students for iPad
• Gray’s Atlas of Anatomy for iPad
• HESI Q&A for the NCLEX-RN Exam
• HealthAdvance Journals
• Hybrid Materials 2013
• JAACAP: Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
• JACC iPad Edition
• JACS, Official Scientific Journal of the American College of Surgeons
• JVIR: Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology
• Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology
• Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology: In Practice
• Journal of Cataract & Refractive Surgery
• Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery
• Journal of Hand Surgery
• Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery
• Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery (JSES)
• Journal of Vascular Surgery
• Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology
• Journal of the American College of Radiology
• Journal of the American Society of Echocardiography
• MSK Imaging Case Review
• MSK Injections
• Materials Today
• Mayo Clinic Proceedings
• MedWords for iPad
• Medical Board Reviews
• Medicine Journal
• Mosby's Nursing Consult
• Mosby’s Certification Exam Prep
• Mosby’s Mobile Dictionary of Medicine, Nursing ...
• Musculoskeletal Imaging of Painful Disorders for iPhone and iPad
• Netter's Anatomy Atlas
• Netter's Surgical Anatomy Review P.R.N.
• Netter’s Anatomy Atlas Free
• NeuroApps: MRI Atlas of Human White Matter
• Ophthalmology: The Official Journal of the AAO
• Pediatric Imaging Case Review
• Personal Selections
• Pipeline Rules of Thumb
• Pocket Clinical Examination for iPad
• Pocket Clinical Examination for iPhone
• Pocket Neonatology
• Policing in America Exam Cram
• Polymer 2013
• Poster in my Pocket
• Practice Exams in Emergency Medicine
• Practice Exams in Emergency Medicine for iPhone
• Practice OSCEs in Obstetrics and Gynaecology for iPad
• Practice OSCEs in Obstetrics and Gynaecology for iPhone
• Procedures Consult
• Radiotherapy and Oncology
• Reproductive BioMedicine Online
• Robbins Pathology Flash Cards
• Sanros: Strategic Applications of Named Reactions in Organic Synthesis
• Saunders Mobile Review Questions for the NCLEX-RN Exam
• Saunders Mobile Review Questions for the NCLEX-RN Exam, LITE
• SciVerse ScienceDirect (Free version for instit...
• SciVerse ScienceDirect Premium (Paid for version for institutional subscribers)
• SciVerse ScienceDirect Premium (institutional s...
• SciVerse Scopus Alerts Individual (Paid version for non-institutional subscribers)
• Sleep Medicine
• Sleep Medicine Reviews
• Small Animal Fracture Management
• Spine Imaging Case Review
• The American Journal of Medicine
• The American Journal of Pathology
• The American Journal of Surgery
• The Journal of Molecular Diagnostics
• The Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery
• The Journal of Urology®, Official Journal of the American Urological Association (AUA)
• The Lancet
• The Nursing Guide To Drugs
• The Secrets Series®
• Thoracic Imaging Case Review
• World Pumps