OAPN Statin Prescribing Guide
This Oxford American Pocket Notes source of information is developed by MedHand Mobile Libraries. Improve your performance with relevant, valid material which is accessed quickly and with minimal effort in the palm of your hand.
The first HMG-CoA reductase inhibitor (statin), lovastatin, has been on the market since 1987. In that time, five more drugs from this class, atorvastatin, pravastatin, fluvastatin, rosuvastatin and simvastatin, have been approved by the FDA. Statins, among the top ten most commonly prescribed drugs in the U.S., are now recommended as first-line treatments by all major regulatory agencies in the U.S. and elsewhere.
As shown in numerous clinical trials, statins are extremely powerful and effective in reducing LDL cholesterol, accompanied by a significant reduction of cardiac events and strokes. As a class, they are well-tolerated by most patients and are easy to administer. However, the withdrawal of cerivastatin (Baycol) from the market in 2001 due to severe myopathy in some patients, has led to increased concern among clinicians with respect to this and other side effects, such as liver and kidney disease. Some studies suggest that this has led to increased reluctance among clinicians to initiate a statin drug regimen or to adjust dosage to increase therapeutic effect. While a small minority of patients do develop serious complications while on statin therapy, current clinical evidence strongly suggests that the benefits of timely statin administration significantly outweigh the risks.
Oxford American Pocket Notes: Statin Prescribing Guide aims to provide clinicians with concise, easily accessible guidance on prescribing statins in various clinical settings. This volume features evidence-based discussion on the indications, pharmacokinetics and safety profiles of the available statins and how these properties translate into selection of the appropriate treatment regimen for the individual patient. Useful tools, such as treatment algorithms, charts, tables and illustrations greatly help enhance the value of this volume as a portable reference tool.
Authors: Ragavendra R Baliga
MedHand Mobile Libraries offers a SUBSCRIPTION FREE application without edition upgrade. MedHand is the exclusive partner of Oxford University Press, publishing the latest editions of their Medical Handbooks in digital format.
MedHand offers user-friendly, quick and intuitive applications for medical books on iPhone, iPod and iPad, supporting you with mobile knowledge at the point of care. Offering the most trusted and well recognized medical guidelines provided by excellent publishers. MedHand delivers what you need, trusted knowledge at the point of care!
Share with Others
- Last changed:
- Nov 14, 2011
- MedHand – Mobile Libraries
- Average Rating:
- No data
- 2.1 MB
- Other Apps By This Developer
• Anatomy at a Glance, 3rd Edition
• Bonney's Gynaecological Surgery, 11th Edition
• CDC Health Information for International Travel 2014 - The Yellow Book (FREE Sample)
• CURRENT Diagnosis and Treatment Cardiology, Thi...
• CURRENT Diagnosis and Treatment Critical Care, ...
• CURRENT Diagnosis and Treatment Obstetrics & Gynecology, Tenth Edition
• CURRENT Diagnosis and Treatment Psychiatry, Second Edition
• CURRENT Diagnosis and Treatment Surgery, Thirte...
• CURRENT Diagnosis and Treatment in Family Medic...
• CURRENT Diagnosis and Treatment in Pediatrics, ...
• CURRENT Practice Guidelines in Primary Care 2012
• Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Int...
• Dr Companion® Institutional Application
• Dr Companion® Mobile Medical
• Emergencies in Anaesthesia, Second Edition
• Emergencies in Clinical Medicine
• Emergencies in Clinical Surgery
• Emergencies in Primary Care
• Emergent Management of Trauma, 3rd Edition
• Evidence-based Medicine Toolkit, 2nd Edition
• Harrison´s Manual of Oncology
• Hurst's the Heart Manual of Cardiology, 12th Edition
• Manual of Childhood Infections, Third Edition
• OAPC Chemotherapy for Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia
• OAPC Dopamine Agonists in Type 2 Diabetes
• OAPC Febrile Neutropenia
• OAPC Fibromyalgia
• OAPC Medical Management of Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia
• OAPC Prophylactic HPV Vaccines for Cervical Cancer
• OAPN Chemotherapy-induced Nausea and Vomiting
• OAPN Coronary Stenting
• OAPN Opioid Risk Management Tools and Tips
• OAPN Postherpetic Neuralgia
• Oxford American Handbook of Anesthesiology
• Oxford American Handbook of Clinical Dentistry
• Oxford American Handbook of Clinical Medicine
• Oxford American Handbook of Critical Care
• Oxford American Handbook of Emergency Medicine
• Oxford American Handbook of Obstetrics and Gynecology
• Oxford American Handbook of Psychiatry
• Oxford Handbook of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Second Edition
• Oxford Handbook of Tropical Medicine, Third Edition
• Rapid Medicine, 2nd Edition
• Rapid Obstetrics and Gynaecology, 2nd Edition
• Rapid Paediatrics and Child Health, 2nd Edition
• Rapid Psychiatry, 2nd Edition
• Rapid Surgery, 2nd Edition
• TNM Classification of Malignant Tumours, 7th edition
• The Maudsley Prescribing Guidelines in Psychiatry, 11th Edition
• UCL Hospitals Injectable Medicines Administrat...
• mobilePDR® Prescribers Edition
• mobilePDR®, 66th edition