iOS Universal Medical
This vastly modified new version of MicroGuide allows medical organisations to self-manage and publish their own idiosyncratic antimicrobial protocols directly to the new App!
Now, not only can administrators manage their data as they see fit, they can update and publish it whenever they want.
Our fully functional and secure web portal is now available for protocol management, and the release of this version of the MicroGuide App is the first in a line of self-maintained specialist content management systems directly linked to mobile technology produced by Horizon Strategic Partners.
Each organisation that subscribes to the service can currently manage up to two antimicrobial guides simultaneously and can modify both the condition structure and condition content in any way they choose. Descriptions of what to expect in both guides are as follows;
Adult Antimicrobial Guide
Do you know what drug covers which bug? What antibiotic resistance is a problem in your locality? Are you competent at prescribing nephrotoxic drugs like gentamicin and vancomycin?
Many newly-qualified doctors and pharmacists find it challenging to know which bacteria are associated with different clinical infections and what antibiotic regimen will provide adequate cover.
The MicroGuide App provides a concise authoritative guide to the treatment of common infections and safe prescribing of antibiotics on a Trust by Trust basis.
Infections covered include:
- Septic shock and severe sepsis
- Meningitis and shunt infection
- Pneumonia (community and hospital)
- COPD exacerbation
- Urinary tract infection and pyelonephritis (including ESBL organisms)
- Cholecystitis and cholangitis
- Cellulitis and wound infection (including bite wounds)
- Necrotising fasciitis
- Septic arthritis
- Line infection
- Febrile neutropenia
Gentamicin and vancomycin dosing
Microguide App incorporates these great tools:
- a creatinine clearance calculator
- vancomycin dosing table by creatinine clearance
- gentamicin dosing interval calculator (just enter the serum level and the time)
The MicroGuide App also provides invaluable expert advice on specific topics including:
- MRSA carriage and decolonisation
- Clostridium difficile antibiotic risk factors
- Principles of safe and effective antibiotic prescribing
- Penicillin allergy and anaphylaxis
- IV to oral switch criteria and switch choices
A new section on the recognition and early management of severe sepsis and septic shock includes ‘The Sepsis Six’ – six life-saving interventions that can be performed by the junior doctor within the first hour after the onset of severe sepsis.
Paediatric Antimicrobial Guide
This module is based upon the successful pocket guide to first-line empirical antibiotic therapy for specific childhood infections, developed at University Hospital Southampton in 2010/11 by specialists in paediatric infectious diseases, microbiology and pharmacy.
Treatment recommendations are provided for common childhood infections in addition to a number of paediatric sub-specialities including gastroenterology, cystic fibrosis, oncology and ophthalmology.
- for iOS version 9.0.0 (and later) users, a "Spotlight search" will now show results from your downloaded MicroGuide guides.