Dermoscopy: An Illustrated Self-Assessment Guide
A case-based visual guide to learning dermoscopy complete with self-assessment cases.
This app uses a unique method for learning how to use dermoscopy to diagnose benign and malignant pigmented and non-pigmented skin lesions. Contains 300 full-color Illustrations — 95 melanomas plus important simulators. Learn dermoscopy to accurately diagnose a full range of skin lesions with superb images and text that look great on your mobile device. No internet connection needed to view the full app. It is all ready for quick image and information retrieval.
The 191 cases are easy to navigate and each case stimulates you to analyze the dermoscopy image before answering thought-provoking questions. You commit to a diagnosis and treatment plan before requesting the answers. The answers are robust with helpful explanations and useful pearls. At the end of each case the dermoscopic image is marked with arrows, circles, boxes and stars to direct you to the exact key features that inform the diagnosis. There is no better way on your own to learn dermoscopy.
Each case is scored and you can see your scores summarized on one screen in order to go back to review the cases that were most difficult for you. Each case can be reset individually to start off the case as a brand new problem to solve. Additionally, you can search through the introduction or case answers by keywords.
For each of the 191 cases, you will find a series of full-color clinical and dermoscopic images, each with a short history. Every case is followed by true-or-false questions along with three check boxes to test your knowledge acquisition and decision-making ability. Click a button and the answers to the questions are provided. Circles, stars, boxes, and arrows appear in the image pointing out the important dermoscopic criteria for each case.
Features: Cases are taken from lesions of the scalp, face, nose, lips, ears, trunk, extremities, palms, soles, nails. Clinical pearls are provided based on the authors’ years of experience treating skin cancers. An interactive and visual approach to learning the general principles, terminology and specific criteria of dermoscopy. This will enhance your ability to utilize dermoscopy, which is both tissue sparing and potentially lifesaving.
Review of book on which this app is based:
A Doody's Core Title for 2011! 5 STAR DOODY'S REVIEW!
"This is a useful tool for any healthcare provider interested in dermatology, whether a new resident just starting to study skin disease or a seasoned practitioner wishing to learn a new skill....What is especially helpful is the labeling of the dermoscopic photo, making it easier to learn the various criteria and structures. Moreover, each case has a diagnostic pearls section that adds much didactic value....What is most unique and valuable is that readers are not just passively reading about a subject, but are drawn to actively participate and make decisions. I wholeheartedly recommend this book (now app) for anyone interested in learning dermoscopy."--Doody's Review Service
This interactive app is based on the full content of Dermoscopy: An Illustrated Self-Assessment Guide by McGraw-Hill.
About the Authors:
Robert H. Johr, MD, Clinical Professor of Dermatology, Associate Clinical Professor of Pediatrics
Pigmented Lesion Clinic, University of Miami School of Medicine
Wilhelm Stolz, MD, Director, Clinic of Dermatology, Allergology and Environmental Medicine
Hospital München Schwabing, Professor of Dermatology, Faculty of Medicine
Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität, Munich, Germany
Disclaimer: This app is intended for the education of healthcare professionals and not as a diagnostic and treatment reference for the general population.
Developed by Usatine Media, LLC
Richard P. Usatine, MD, Co-President, Professor of Dermatology, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
Peter Erickson, Co-President, Lead Software Developer
- Minor improvements
Share with Others
- Last changed:
- Oct 11, 2014
- Usatine Media LLC
- 72.1 MB
- Current Version Average Rating:
- No data
- All Versions Average Rating:
- No data
- Other Apps By This Developer
• ABSITE Slayer
• Anesthesiology Examination and Board Review
• Botulinum Toxin
• Color Atlas and Synopsis of Pediatric Dermatology
• Color Atlas and Synopsis of Sexually Transmitted Diseases
• Color Atlas of Cosmetic Dermatology
• Color Atlas of Family Medicine 2/E
• Color Atlas of Pediatric Dermatology
• Comprehensive Dermatologic Drug Therapy
• Conn's Current Therapy 2014
• CURRENT Medical Diagnosis and Treatment (CMDT) Study Guide
• Dermatologic and Cosmetic Procedures in Office Practice
• Dermoscopy Two Step Algorithm
• Essential Clinical Procedures
• Evidence-Based Physical Diagnosis
• Family Practice Examination and Board Review
• Field Guide to Wilderness Medicine
• First Aid for the USMLE Step 1, 2014
• First Aid for the USMLE Step 2 CK (Clinical Knowledge)
• First Aid for the USMLE Step 2 CS (Clinical Skills), Fifth Edition
• First Aid for the USMLE Step 3, 3/E
• First Aid for the USMLE: Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3
• Fitzpatrick's Dermatology Flash Cards
• Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine Self-Assessment and Board Review 18th Edition
• Lange Anatomy Flash Cards
• Lange Radiographic Positioning Flashcards
• Lange Top 300 Pharmacy Drug Cards 2014-2015
• Lookingbill & Marks' Principles of Dermatology
• McGraw-Hill Specialty Board Review Anatomic Pathology Flashcards
• Minor Emergencies
• Pediatric Dermatology 4e
• Pediatric Dermatology DDx Deck
• Pfenninger and Fowler's Procedures for Primary Care
• Pocket Atlas of Emergency Ultrasound
• Schwartz's Principles of Surgery ABSITE and Board Review
• The Atlas of Emergency Medicine
• The Atlas of Emergency Medicine Flashcards
• Treatment of Skin Disease: Comprehensive Therapeutic Strategies
• USMLE Step 1 Secrets
• Zollinger's Atlas of Surgical Operations