This app can convert MKV files to M4V (MP4) files. It is very fast because "it converts only audio tracks" but does not convert a video track (it just copy a video track). For the same reason, it can convert while preserving the original quality of the source's video track. Also it can decode the FLAC audio codec. And if you have a SRT file, it is available to insert a closed caption.
MKV, FLV files can be converted to M4V or MP4. (Sandbox*)
• Also, you can use MKV2M4V as a simple media info app. And if the source video track's codec is supported in the m4v (mp4) container, you can convert it.
• Following types also can be dragged into the main window to open: mp4, m4v, mov, avi, ts, tp, trp, wmv, rmvb, mts, m2ts.
- If you drag the folder that includes 'BDMV', it will automatically search 'm2ts' files in 'BDMV'.
'Audio Preview' support.
'Audio Preset' support.
• Audio for a Mac, an iDevice, an Apple TV
• You can use the 'Audio for a Mac' for the playback on an iDevice / an Apple TV via the iTunes's 'Home Sharing'.
'Closed Caption' support.
• If you have a SRT file, it is available to insert a closed caption in the converted file.
• A source subtitle file must be the same name, same directory with the source video file and it's extension must be 'srt'. (Sandbox*)
• If there are no same named srt files during converting, they will be automatically searched in the target directory.
• Supported text encodings are UTF-8, UTF-16.
- All 'Audio Preset' modes (except 'Custom' mode) for QuickTime-based App on OS X 10.7.x, iOS 5.x.
- 'Custom' mode for QuickTime-based App on OS X 10.8.x, iOS 5.1.x or later (Apple TV), iOS 6.x.
'Internal Subtitles Extraction' support.
• Currently support only the internal subtitles that is recognized as 'SSA', 'ASS (Advanced SubStation Alpha)' type.
'Move to Trash' support.
'Automator' support. (Sandbox*)
• It is available to decode the FLAC audio codec.
• Two audio tracks in the one source file can be used for the conversion with the 'Custom' mode.
- Depending on the supported audio codec of the video player app, the converted file with only AC3 audio tracks may be not played normally.
• It is available to add a second audio track encoded with AAC for the one source audio track.
• Pass-through option works only if the source audio codec is supported in the target type.
• ALAC option always convert it with M4V type.
• AAC option's bitrate is up to 320Kbps.
• If the source video track is not H.264 codec, it may be not converted normally.
• The copied video track may be not supported on the QuickTime-based App or Devices according to the H.264 settings of the source video track.
- For example, the video track with an 'yuv420p10le' (yuv420p 10-bit) pixel format is not supported on the QuickTime-based App or Devices.
• The video track with a wrong timestamp may be not compatible with FFmpeg and QuickTime. In this case, it requires the re-encoding of the video track. You can do this by other apps.
You can get more informations about these features at 'MKV2M4V Support'.
※ MKV2M4V is a simple front-end to 'FFmpeg', 'MP4Box' licensed under the LGPLv2.1. Also MKV2M4V uses some dynamic libraries of 'FFmpeg' licensed under the LGPLv2.1. You can get more informations about 'FFmpeg', 'MP4Box' at 'http://ffmpeg.org', 'http://gpac.wp.mines-telecom.fr/mp4box'.
* There are some restrictions as the followings by Sandbox, if files are NOT in the following folders and its subfolders: ~/Downloads, ~/Movies, MKV2M4V target directory.
- If you open 'files' (not 'folder') when 'Source Directory' was checked, it can't write a file to the folder that includes these files.
- If you open video 'files' (not 'folder'), you must manually open 'srt' files that will be used to insert closed captions.
- Because 'Automator' doesn't support 'Sandbox', in this case, actions don't work.
• Some 'Automator' actions were added.
- 'Add Files to List', 'Add List to Queue', 'Change Options', 'Start to Convert' action.
- You can use these actions as the example described next: 'Ask for Finder Items' > 'Add Files to List' > 'Change Options' > 'Add List to Queue' > 'Start to Convert' > 'Reveal Finder Items' action.
- There are some restrictions by 'Sandbox'. It works with video files that are in the following folders and its subfolders: ~/Downloads, ~/Movies, MKV2M4V target directory.
• Improved compatibility about subtitles for the 'Closed Caption' feature.
Share with Others
- Last changed:
- Mar 20, 2013
- BoHoon Kim
- Average Rating:
- 3.50 (44)
- 26.6 MB