Having two monitors on OSX is both a joy and a pain. Simple things like viewing a movie or playing a game quickly become a hassle when you have one screen playing and the other blasting full brightness your face. There is no quick and easy way to "cover" or dim a single screen, so I got to work on a solution...
The result is what I am creatively dubbing "ScreenDimmer." It allows you to selectively dim up to three monitors in all sorts of configurations and opacities (brightnesses), while not interfering with your other applications. You could choose to have your second monitor be dim while your primary plays a movie, or maybe have your primary and third be full black while you play a game on your second. The possibilities are endless! Some of you with single monitors may also find this little utility useful as it will give you more "fine grained" control over your brightness.
I initially created this small utility for myself but it evolved into something that I am proud to release. I gave it my best and I hope you enjoy it!
1. Open app
- Located in menu bar
2. Select monitor configuration
- Monitors are arranged based on their position relative to each other
- Selected monitors can be any configuration of 1, 2 and/or 3.
3. Click enable
- The overlay should now pop up
4. Use the slider to change the brightness level.
- Made monitor icons automatically rearrange to match desktop orientation
- Made screen remain dim while in expose (note: it is currently imposible to have the app remain active while in mission control. I spent the greater portion of a week trying to figure it out, but sadly it appears to be impossible with the standard apple libraries. Sorry to all who wanted that feature!)
- Fixed constraint error
- Removed misc files (decreased app size!)
NOTE: This feature is new, and as such may have issues. I have tested it to the best of my abilities, but if you encounter any bugs please email me (email@example.com). Thanks!
I would like to briefly thank everybody who has downloaded the application, especially those who left reviews/emailed me! The fact that you took the time to write a nice little paragraph about something I made is incredibly gratifying. If you have any questions, comments, or requests please do not hesitate to email me (firstname.lastname@example.org). Thanks!
Share with Others
- Last changed:
- Jan 22, 2013
- Average Rating:
- 4.50 (17)
- 0.9 MB