Pixen is a pixel art editor designed for working with low-resolution raster art, such as those 8-bit sprites found in old-school video games. With innovative features like a unique color palette system, patterns, layers, and high-zoom support, Pixen packs all the tools pixel artists need in an intuitive, Mac-native interface. Pixen also makes creating frame-by-frame animations fun and easy.
Animations – Create and arrange image frames in the filmstrip view to piece together animations; export animations as animated GIFs or even spritesheets!
Tools – Leverage Pixen's wide array of tools when composing pixel art: Pencil, Eraser, Eyedropper, Zoom, Rectangular Selection, Magic Wand, Lasso, Move, Fill, Line, Rectangle, and Ellipse.
Layers – Take advantage of the flexibility layers provide when working with complex pixel art.
Color Palettes – Add and organize commonly-used colors into palettes.
Patterns – Define custom patterns to use while drawing with the pencil, line, or eraser tool (instead of a single pixel).
Custom Backgrounds – Pick a flat, striped or checkered background (or even a custom image) to be drawn beneath the canvas.
Grid + Alignment Crosshair – Let the grid and the alignment crosshair guide you in placing pixels just where you want them.
Preview – While editing at high zoom levels, use the Preview window to view the canvas scaled out; play back animations in the Preview window.
Left and Right Tools – Assign a different tool to the left and right mouse button. For example: pencil on the left; eraser on the right.
Tablet Support – Pixen supports pressure-sensitive drawing tablets and maps pressure to color opacity.
Hotkeys – Customize tool hotkeys to ease the transition from other image editors.
Full Screen – Work with all your favorite tools in full screen mode.
- Refreshed interface for OS X Yosemite
- Animated PNGs can now be imported as animations
- Added two filters: "Invert Colors" and "1 bit"
- Multiple animation frames can now be copied and pasted
- Layers can now be shown/hidden with a menu item and keyboard shortcut
- Significant improvements to line drawing performance
- Fixed an issue where certain PNGs would open as empty images
- Fixed visual artifacts that would appear while resizing the animation film strip
- The zoom percentage is now shown next to the zoom slider in animation documents
- Various stability and usability improvements
If you enjoy using Pixen, please consider leaving a rating in the Mac App Store.
Share with Others
- Last changed:
- Jan 07, 2015
- Graphics & Design
- Matt Rajca
- 2.5 MB
- Current Version Average Rating:
- 5.00 (8)
- All Versions Average Rating:
- 4.50 (95)
- Other Apps By This Developer
• AirLift - fun and easy photo uploading
• Archimedes - LaTeX and Markdown editor