Pixen is a pixel art editor designed for working with low-resolution raster art, such as those 8-bit sprites found in old-school video games. With innovative features like a unique color palette system, patterns, layers, and high-zoom support, Pixen packs all the tools pixel artists need in an intuitive, Mac-native interface. Pixen also makes creating frame-by-frame animations fun and easy.
Animations – Create and arrange image frames in the filmstrip view to piece together animations; export animations as animated GIFs or even spritesheets!
Tools – Leverage Pixen's wide array of tools when composing pixel art: Pencil, Eraser, Eyedropper, Zoom, Rectangular Selection, Magic Wand, Lasso, Move, Fill, Line, Rectangle, and Ellipse.
Layers – Take advantage of the flexibility layers provide when working with complex pixel art.
Color Palettes – Add and organize commonly-used colors into palettes.
Patterns – Define custom patterns to use while drawing with the pencil, line, or eraser tool (instead of a single pixel).
Custom Backgrounds – Pick a flat, striped or checkered background (or even a custom image) to be drawn beneath the canvas.
Grid + Alignment Crosshair – Let the grid and the alignment crosshair guide you in placing pixels just where you want them.
Preview – While editing at high zoom levels, use the Preview window to view the canvas scaled out; play back animations in the Preview window.
Left and Right Tools – Assign a different tool to the left and right mouse button. For example: pencil on the left; eraser on the right.
Tablet Support – Pixen supports pressure-sensitive drawing tablets and maps pressure to color opacity.
Hotkeys – Customize tool hotkeys to ease the transition from other image editors.
Full Screen – Work with all your favorite tools in full screen mode.
- Tile Mode is back!
-- Click the Gear icon in the Preview panel to enable Tile Mode
-- Use the panel's Zoom button to size the panel to wrap the preview
- Added an option in Grid Settings for displaying an isometric grid
- The Pixen Color Picker now includes an 8-bit color palette
- The new Animation Settings sheet (found under the Animation menu) can be used to set whether animated GIFs should loop
- Refreshed the Export Sprite Sheet window's UI
- Updated the Discover Pixen tutorial
- Improved the color accuracy of exported animated GIFs
- Animated GIFs with frames of different sizes can now be exported
- The last-used tool is now selected on launch
- The keyboard shortcuts for the Invert Selection, Resize Canvas, Scale Image, Zoom to Fit, Zoom to 100%, Delete Layer, Merge Down menu items have changed to better match other editors
- Fixed a rare crash that would occur in the Export Sprite Sheet window
- Up-scaled animation frames are no longer anti-aliased in the film strip
- Improved the accuracy of the Frequent Colors palette
- Importing backgrounds is now more reliable
- Minor UI and stability improvements
If you enjoy using Pixen, please consider leaving us a rating.
Share with Others
- Last changed:
- Mar 30, 2015
- Graphics & Design
- Matt Rajca
- 2.2 MB
- Current Version Average Rating:
- 4.00 (4)
- All Versions Average Rating:
- 4.00 (102)
- Other Apps By This Developer
• AirLift - fun and easy photo uploading
• Archimedes - LaTeX and Markdown editor