Mac OS Developer Tools
Weird characters showing in your file?? There are many different text encoding systems (mapping characters to the numbers within a file) and a file doesn't necessarily carry information about the encoding that was used when it was saved. This can lead to frustrating problems when the file is opened.
- Examine any file in detail, view / save in any text encoding
- Displays each byte as data (decimal or hex notation) or as text
- Can take text directly from the clipboard
- Try different text encodings to find the correct one or the best fit
- Attempts to filter the text from a proprietary format
- Saves a text file using the same or another encoding
Peep looks like a traditional 'hex editor' application and functions as such; it allows you to examine the contents of a file and even edit byte-by-byte.
But Peep was designed as a file viewing and text encoding utility - is useful when programming, when experiencing text encoding problems or when you need to extract information from a file that you can't open otherwise.
small fixes and updates