Welcome to OmniOutliner 4, an amazingly flexible yet lightweight program for creating, collecting, and organizing information. Use OmniOutliner’s document structure to brainstorm new ideas, drill out specifics, and construct a beautiful document for sharing. It’s way more than just an outlining tool—you’ve got multiple columns, smart checkboxes, pop-up lists, and a fantastically rich styles system at your disposal. It’s perfect for drafting a simple to-do list, creating an agenda for a meeting, taking notes at said meeting, planning events, writing anything from diaries to screenplays, or any other task that calls for structured text.
OmniOutliner Pro is the professional edition of OmniOutliner; a standard edition is also available with fewer advanced features at a lower price. (See below for a list of the features exclusive to Pro.)
• Sync: Keep your documents up to date between Macs or to OmniOutliner for iPad with OmniPresence, our free sync technology.
• Organization: Add structure to your thoughts and notes by creating easy-to-manipulate collapsible outlines (lists of lists of lists).
• Sections: See your whole document structure in the sidebar; just click a section to instantly focus in on it.
• Columns: Use columns to associate different types of information with each item—pop-up lists, checkboxes, numerical values, dates, durations, or rich text.
• Styles: OmniOutliner helps you format on the fly with a rich Styles system designed to give you everything you need to apply style changes—from one word at a time to document-wide. Change once; change everywhere.
• Saved templates and themes: Save your favorite documents as templates; then use them as starting points for new documents or apply their styles to an existing document as a theme.
• Attachments: Insert any kind of file; images and other media appear right inline.
• Audio recording: Capture audio directly into your documents so you can, for example, refer back to the lecture or interview that you’re taking notes on.
• Exporting: OmniOutliner documents can be exported as plain text, rich text, OPML, HTML, and more.
• Column Visibility: Feel free to add as many columns as you like to your document, and show only the ones you really need at the moment.
• Folded editing: OmniOutliner actively collapses the text of all rows except the one you’re editing, so that you can see more of your document at once.
• Advanced styling: Get more control over nerdy details like custom spacing schemes and manual page breaks.
• AppleScript support: Create AppleScript shortcuts for complex tasks, automate the things you do over and over, and turn OmniOutliner into a whole new app; you’ll get more done, and with fewer mistakes.
• And more: Show notes in a separate pane, export to Microsoft Word format, and even build your own export plug-ins.
For video tutorials and other information, please visit our website!
If you have any feedback or questions, we’d love to hear from you! The Omni Group offers free tech support; you can reach us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, by phone at 1-800-315-6664 or 1-206-523-4152, or on twitter at @omnioutliner.
OmniOutliner 4.1 adds intra-document row links, new toolbar icons, improves Microsoft Word export, and makes a number of other updates and bug fixes. (OmniOutliner 4.1.1 corrects a few technical issues for the Mac App Store.)
• Styles – The Row padding control has been added to the standard feature set.
• Toolbar icons – New toolbar icons with color have been added! Switch to Graphite appearance in System Preferences to use monochrome versions of those icons.
• Row linking – Create links to rows to quickly navigate or reference other sections. To make a link, select a row and use Edit > Copy As Link. Paste this where ever you'd like to make a hyperlink to that row. The focused state will also be preserved in the link. Links will function in OmniOutliner standard if they exist but the Copy as Link option is a Pro feature.
• Word Export – A second MS Word (docx) export has been added, Microsoft Word (indented). This will always preserve the outline structure by setting the indentation on each line.
• Word Export – Microsoft Word (outline) has the same basic functionality as the previous MS Word export but will now open in Outline view by default.
• Word Export – Row numbering support has significantly improved. Under most circumstances it should match the numbering you see in OmniOutliner. If row numbering is used, the Microsoft Word (outline) format will indent your text to keep the numbering readable. Note– MS Word only supports up to nine outline levels, so, for level 10 and deeper, any row numbering will be inserted at the beginning of the line as normal text and may not correctly align with the other outline levels.
• Word Export – The outline column will always be the exported column instead of the left-most column.
• Interface – The method for checking if you have Pro features available has changed. Simply choose OmniOutliner > About OmniOutliner for details on the current version and licensing state of the app.
• Menus – The contextual menu will no longer show options that are disabled.
• Attachments – Improved support for linked attachments. There are still a couple bugs remaining but new linked attachments should work under most circumstances. Previous existing attachments, including those from OmniOutliner 3 will bring up a file browser to the directory containing that file asking you to select the file so permissions to access that file can be saved.
• Word Export – Fixed a bug with exporting font colors of certain values.
• Word Export – Multiple identical URLs in a document should now export properly.
• Word Export – Fixed a bug with preserving some linked attachments.
• Exports – Fixed a crash with HTML, HTML (Dynamic), and MS Word (HTML) exports that would occur when a named style inherits from another named style of the same name.
• Export – The writeFormattedNumbers key for export plug-ins is working again. This was causing HTML and HTML (Dynamic) to export unformatted numbers, sometimes showing much more decimal precision than expected.
• Styles – The When adding a row, use siblings' style setting should now always behave predictably when on. Named styles will no longer carry over to the sibling when it is unchecked.
• Stability – Rows should no longer remain selected when moved into a collapsed section. This prevents a crash that would occur when trying to modify that hidden row.
We appreciate that you're taking the time to read these release notes. If you are enjoying OmniOutliner, please consider rating it in the Mac App Store!
If you have any feedback or questions, we'd love to hear from you! The Omni Group offers free tech support: you can reach us by email at email@example.com, by phone at 1-800-315-6664 or +1-206-523-4152, or on twitter at @omnioutliner.
Share with Others
- Last changed:
- Jul 08, 2014
- The Omni Group
- 41.9 MB
- Current Version Average Rating:
- 5.00 (2)
- All Versions Average Rating:
- 4.50 (69)
- Other Apps By This Developer
• OmniFocus 2
• OmniFocus 2 for iPhone
• OmniGraffle 6
• OmniOutliner 2
• OmniPlan 2