iOS Universal Lifestyle
Join the thousands of people who use Universalis daily!
You will get:
• The Catholic liturgical calendar for every year (until the year 2300 and beyond!). You can choose from over 20 local calendars, for USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Ireland, India and Singapore, and most of the dioceses of the UK.
• The About Today page: information and meditations on the saints and feasts of the day.
• Readings at Mass: the readings, psalms, prayers and antiphons for the day’s Mass. The Jerusalem Bible readings with Grail psalms (USA and Philippines: New American Bible).
• Mass Today: this unique page gives you the Order of Mass and the prayers, readings and so on, all merged into one single sequence, so that you can follow Mass; or even celebrate it if you can find a discreet place to put the iPad on your altar.
• The Liturgy of the Hours: Morning Prayer, Evening Prayer, Night Prayer, the three daytime Hours, and the Office of Readings. The scripture readings are from the Jerusalem Bible and the psalms are the Grail psalms.
• You can search for words and phrases in the readings and psalms, see their context and go to the date when they are used.
• You can set an alarm to remind you when it's time for each Hour. You can also set alarms for the Angelus.
• Music: you can listen to the Salve Regina at the end of Night Prayer, and an in-app purchase will give you the whole of Sung Compline in Latin from the Schola Cantorum of the London Oratory School.
• Speech: You can listen to the Angelus spoken in English or Latin. You can optionally subscribe to other spoken content, including the Gospel for each day's Mass in English; Morning and Evening Prayer and the three daytime Hours in English; and the three daytime Hours in Latin (the subscription renews itself automatically each month but you can cancel it at any time).
• You can have a second language for the Order of Mass, in parallel with English: Latin, French, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish, German, Polish, Malayalam or Yoruba.
• You can choose between turning pages like a book or scrolling like a web page. You can choose fonts and font sizes (including huge ones) and you can turn on a night mode for reading in the dark.
• If you are blind, turn on VoiceOver and press the Information button in the toolbar at the top of the screen to get full instructions.
• You can see the saint of the day in a widget on your Today screen.
• If you have an Apple Watch, you can see the week’s calendar and read the Mass readings.
Everything is permanently built in to the Universalis app. You do not need an Internet connection.
You can also set up an email service to send you selected pages automatically each day.
As always, if you want full instructions, open Universalis and shake your device. Side to side works best. (If you are using VoiceOver to read the screen to you, then instead of shaking, use the Information button in the toolbar at the top of the screen).
For full details of the translations used, visit www.universalis.com. If you want to see more before you decide to buy Universalis, download the free Catholic Calendar application. It gives you a month’s free trial of Universalis content.
If you choose to subscribe to the spoken Gospels at Mass for £1.99 / $1.99 / €2.49 per month or Morning+Evening or Daytime Prayer for £2.99 / $2.99 / €3.49 per month (prices in other countries will vary), payment for a month's subscription will be charged to your iTunes account immediately. Subsequent monthly renewals will be charged within 24 hours before expiry of the current period. You can turn auto-renewal off at any time. If you turn auto-renewal off in the middle of a period, you will not get a refund but you will receive the benefit of the entire period and your subscription will then stop.
General bug corrections and minor improvements.
If you find either the "double-tap to enlarge" or the "shake to get help" feature more of an annoyance than a help, you can turn it off in the Settings.