Forage - free food from the wild
How many times have you been out and about in the countryside looked at a plant and wondered was it edible or not? Well, if you are into the idea of free food then probably quite a lot. But how many times have you had the foraging guidebook on you? The answer, if you are me, is never when you see something interesting that you think you know what it is but are not sure. But, how many times have you had your mobile phone on you? Probably every time. And finally after finding that special spot where the item grows how many times have you then been unable to find it again? Probably quite a lot. It could be in the middle of a wood or large wasteground.
So what is the solution? This App that's what. The App combines a list of the most common wild foods available in the UK (many of these plants grow outside of the UK as well), images of those foods and information about the food such as leaf, flower and stem identification information, habitat, season, uses and most importantly any warnings about the plant. You can also record the locations of the foods found on the Maps so that you can find them again.
Each food has the following information: Description, Habitat, Season, Uses and Warnings; a minimum of two images to aid in identification; notes to record your information about the food; a set of user specified locations shown on the Map.
Each Food can be identified using the images and the description. Once identified you can also record the location of the food found.
Location use the inbuilt GPS or WiFi to locate you on the Map. Obviously, the GPS can work anywhere whereas WiFi location is less accurate and not always available (especially in the middle of a wood). Maps require an internet connection and a working data plan.
You can record you own notes about a food in general and you can also record notes about individual saved food locations.
There's also a Search facility to help you identify a food. You may be looking at a plant with white flowers or a toothed leaf or both. You can use the Search to look for those foods with white flowers or toothed leaves or white flowers and toothed leaves. The list of foods changes when you search to show only those that satisfy the search. Using the right combination of search terms could reveal an exact match.
v1.2 - Added to ability to purchase 10 new foods to forage for. Made it easier to access the food locations from other views. Some bug fixes. Updates for the new iPad.
Updates for iOS 6 and iPhone5
Share with Others
- Last changed:
- May 20, 2013
- Food & Drink
- Essence Computing
- Average Rating:
- 2.50 (5)
- 45.4 MB
- Other Apps By This Developer
• Alcohol Units Calculator
• Angles Calculator
• Areas Calculator
• Averages Calculator
• Checkout Calculator - All the possible dart outs.
• Circles Illustrated
• Clothing Sizes
• Compare It - price comparison of products
• Curses - insults shakespeare would use - go all old school elizabethan with your curses
• Darts Calculator - quickly add dart scores
• Darts Helper
• Darts Master - calculation, scoring, checkouts and statistics
• Darts Practice
• Darts Scorer -darts scoring made easy
• Depth Of Field Calculator
• Depth of Field & Exposure Calculator
• Dice Manager
• DoItNow -Simple task management
• Driving Monitor
• EXIF Manager
• Exposure Calculator
• Finger Painting
• Finger Painting - Doodling with stars, diamonds, squares, lines and best of all splodges
• Fractions Calculator
• Fractions To Decimal and vice versa
• Fractions/Decimals Calcualtor
• Fuel Calculator - CO2 Calculator
• Gifts List - Keep track of lists of presents, what store to buy in, by what date and for which person
• MDCLXVI - Roman Numerals Converter
• Percentage Calculator
• Poker Hands Calculator
• Product Pricing
• Pulse Monitor
• Quadratic Calculator
• Recurring Lists
• Sets Helper
• Simple Budget - Day
• Simple Budget: Month
• Simple Budget: Week
• Simple Checklist
• Spread Calculator - Standard Deviation, Dispersion, Range
• TimeIsMoney - Meeting Cost Calculator
• Triangles Calculator
• Volumes Calculator
• Weight Monitor
• Where Is It?