'A masterly app...As accessible as it is scholarly, it’s an extraordinary achievement, that brings the sonnets bracingly to life and definitively sets the bar for the future of digital reading.'
– Robert Collins, London Sunday Times
The Sonnets presents William Shakespeare’s immortal collection of love poems in an interactive digital edition that allows you to explore, appreciate and understand this great work of literature as never before.
All 154 sonnets are performed to camera by a star-studded cast including Sir Patrick Stewart (Star Trek, X-Men, Royal Shakespeare Company), David Tennant (Dr Who, Hamlet), Kim Cattrall (Sex and the City), Fiona Shaw (The Waste Land, Harry Potter), Stephen Fry (The Hobbit) and Dominic West (The Wire). These performances – all specially filmed for the app – are synchronised to the text, which highlights line by line as each sonnet is spoken.
The performance videos, running over two and a half hours, are just the beginning. Also included are the complete Notes and Introduction from the Arden Shakespeare, offering unsurpassed scholarly commentary and insight. Touch a mysterious line or difficult word in any of the poems and the corresponding Arden Note highlights to provide comprehensive explanation. An alternative commentary on every sonnet comes from poet and musician Don Paterson, whose humorous and accessible style complements the academic rigour of the Arden Notes.
• Beautiful filmed performances of all 154 sonnets by an incredible cast of Shakespearian actors and experts
• The complete Arden edition text of The Sonnets plus A Lover’s Complaint
• The complete Arden Shakespeare notes and introduction fully integrated
• New commentary on The Sonnets by Don Paterson
• Facility to add your own notes on any sonnet
• High resolution facsimile of the original 1609 Quarto showing Shakespeare’s Sonnets as originally published
• Forty interviews with scholars and experts discussing the meaning of The Sonnets and their author
• Share-a-Sonnet allows you to send a sonnet to friends by email, Twitter or Facebook
• Second generation interface based on the acclaimed Faber / Touchpress literary app The Waste Land
• AirPlay enabled allowing the performances to be streamed full screen to AppleTV
The Sonnets was created by Touchpress, the people behind the best-selling iPad titles The Elements, The Waste Land, and Disney Animated: selected by Apple as iPad App of the Year 2013. The Sonnets was produced and published in partnership with Faber and Faber, Illuminations and the Arden Shakespeare.
We’ve made a number of small improvements and we’ve been on a bug hunt too.
If you enjoy using this app please consider reviewing it in the App Store. It helps more than you might imagine.
Share with Others
- Last changed:
- Feb 15, 2015
- Touchpress Limited
- 1412.5 MB
- Current Version Average Rating:
- 5.00 (10)
- All Versions Average Rating:
- 4.50 (75)
- Other Apps By This Developer
• Barefoot World Atlas
• Beethoven’s 9th Symphony
• Beethoven’s 9th Symphony for iPhone
• Beethoven’s 9th Symphony for iPhone: Full Edition
• Beethoven’s 9th Symphony: Full Edition
• Collins Bird Guide – The Ultimate Field Guide for Britain & Europe
• Gems and Jewels
• Incredible Numbers by Professor Ian Stewart
• Journeys of Invention: Science and Technology from Past to Present
• Leonardo da Vinci: Anatomy
• March of the Dinosaurs
• Molecules by Theodore Gray
• Seamus Heaney: Five Fables
• Skulls by Simon Winchester
• Solar System for iPad
• The Elements
• The Elements (Universal)
• The Elements by Theodore Gray
• The Elements Flashcards by Theodore Gray
• The Elements in Action by Theodore Gray
• The Liszt Sonata
• The Orchestra
• The Pyramids
• The Waste Land
• Think Like Churchill
• Vivaldi’s Four Seasons
• War Horse Featuring Michael Morpurgo
• War Horse Interactive Edition
• X is for X-Ray (iPad)
• X is for X-Ray (iPhone)